Chief Financial Officer
Location: Ron Olson Justice Center
Salary: DOE with excellent benefits
Application Deadline: Continuous until the position is filled
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of HR Administrative Coordinator. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) consists of approximately 123 employees. LAFLA has an annual operating budget of more than $16 million and operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
As a key member of the Executive Management team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the Executive Director and assume a strategic and operational role in the overall management of Accounting and Finance functions for the Foundation. The CFO will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the Foundation. This will include strategic planning, development and management of the budget process, grant compliance and administration, payroll administration, and accounts payable. The CFO works with all Senior Management staff to ensure accurate reporting and adherence to grant and donor restrictions and regulations as well as all applicable laws.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; CPA or MBA preferred.
- A minimum of eight years broad financial experience in a multi-funded not for profit organization. At least four years of supervisory experience. Legal services experience a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership and team management.
- Experience in evaluation of financial systems, policies and procedures, and presentation of proposed changes to senior management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency with Excel, Abila or other accounting software are essential (Microsoft Office environment), strong working knowledge of PowerPoint and Outlook is preferred.
Examples of Duties
- Develop the annual budget along with the Executive Director and other Senior Management staff for presentation and approval by the Board of Directors.
- Monitor the budget by line item and funding source and recommend necessary changes during the year.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly consolidated financial statements as well as by funding source and location.
- Analyze any variance and prepare communications to distribute to appropriate Senior Management staff.
- Oversee monthly, quarterly and annual funding source financial reports ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Prepare analysis for Senior Management regarding the monthly financial reports and work with
- Project Directors, Managing Attorneys and others on specific budgets.
- Prepare and present financial reports to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors and coordinate presentation of reports to the full Board.
- Evaluate current accounting software, policies and procedures and propose any changes identified to improve financial reporting to each along with an implementation plan.
- Ensure maintenance of adequate internal controls.
- Coordinate all financial audits, including monitoring visits from funding sources and annual financial audit.
- Ensure financial compliance requirements with all funding sources.
- Monitor cash flow to ensure availability of funds when needed.
- Monitor investments of excess cash.
- Oversee all financing arrangements of LAFLA. Ensure adequate bidding procedures for major purchases. Oversee vendor relationships.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate department staff.
- Respond in an appropriate and timely manner to the needs, concerns and problems of staff, the finance department and of the organization.
- Completion of other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “CFO” in the subject line.
Probationary Period: A one year probationary period will be required.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, marital status, or any other legally protected status.