The Grants Associate will be foundational to United Way’s efforts to end homelessness by providing grants and administrative support to the Senior Program Officer, Homeless Initiatives and Grants Coordinator as well as helping to organize and coordinate key stakeholders for United Way’s movement to end homelessness across Los Angeles County. The work environment is fast-paced and energized, focused on continuous learning and improvement.
We invite candidates to join with our dynamic, innovative team of implementers. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep passion for ending homelessness, possess a strong work-ethic, enjoy dynamic problem-solving, operate with a mission-first mindset team, and exhibit a track record of cultivating meaningful and productive relationships with diverse partners.
- Lead administrative coordination for United Way’s Housing grantseeking, including management of internal and external meetings for the Funders Collaborative and other funding stakeholders. Work with Grants Coordinator to ensure the successful execution of the following:
- Security clearances
- Room setup and breakdown
- Material preparation and distribution
- Track and ensure completion of invoices, contracts, and purchasing
- Note-taking, summarizing, and action item tracking
- Lead administrative coordination for United Way’s strategic grantmaking and initiative efforts to end homelessness. Work with Housing grant staff and other key United Way staff to ensure smooth execution of strategic initiatives in the following :
- Award Notifications
- Contract Creation & Execution
- Grant Payments & Tracking
- Grantee Contact Management
- Report Creation & Collection
- Manage production of special meetings (i.e., celebrations, recognition events, strategy meetings)
- Assist in research, relationship management, and project management of special initiatives
- Support outreach to community-based organizations providing housing and/or homeless services, coordinating communications and engagement related requests from across the organization (e.g. Everyone In, Marketing & Communications, Development & Engagement, and Community Impact department) .
- Work collaboratively with Development & Engagement and Marketing & Communications teams to articulate the value of our mission work and support the development of meaningful engagement opportunities for donors, public.
- Support implementation of the Community Impact Team’s annual goals and the organization’s strategic plan. Participate in cross-departmental and organizational planning and volunteer efforts as needed.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in administrative and coordination efforts or policy, nonprofit, or homeless services preferred.
- Working knowledge of root causes and solutions to homelessness preferred.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision-making.
- Should possess strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to arrange data.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities and demonstrate confidence working with diverse stakeholders, including nonprofit, public sector, corporate, faith-based, and philanthropic stakeholders.
- Excellent prioritization, project management and critical thinking skills, with a strong sense of focus, organization, and strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders, including United Way team members, board members, external partners, and donors
- Proactive and self-motivated to execute on responsibilities
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Willing to work flexible hours as needed to support department priorities and events
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable programs is a plus.
- Grants database management systems experience a plus.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.