KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 17 schools and serves more than 7,200 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
As a key member of the talent team, the Assistant Director for Teacher Resident will be responsible for the oversight and execution of the Teacher Residency Program for the KIPP Los Angeles Public Schools. The Residency Director role will include faculty member duties such as teaching courses online and in-person every week to teacher candidates, teacher mentors, collaborating on curriculum development with other directors, as well as individual coaching to support and create excellent teachers. This is a full-time position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and facilitate group instruction for all residents each week based on best practices in adult learning and teacher education, working very closely with the other Directors to align training to meet the needs of the Residents in your region
- Engage in collaborative, cross-regional work with a spirit of innovation and adventure
- Lead excellent site visits that foster resident and mentor growth. Supervise, manage and support Residents through the Residency year
- Design and facilitate group instruction for all Mentors each month and provide on-going coaching and support
- Work with the Lead Mentor and departments to successfully support Residents and Mentors in relevant GSE activities
- Promote the growth of the Residency (including professional writing activities such as WASC accreditation).
- Support and collaborate with principals who work with Residents
- Collaborate with the team to recruit, select, and match an excellent resident/mentor cohort each year.
- Travel as necessary – often monthly
- Co-plan and run summer Mentor-Resident Orientation and teach a summer course in July as well as two courses during the school year as part of Resident Seminar
- Participate in weekly Residency team meetings, Leadership Retreats, all Resident selection and assessment and other events as part of the Leadership Team (e.g., Director’s Meetings)
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, GSE and K-12 missions, visions, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Achievement Orientation and Performance Management: Demonstrated student achievement results in own classroom and from grade level or content team(s) that he/she has managed. Demonstrated resilience and focus on student outcomes
- Proven leadership skills with exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships
- Direction Setting: Ability to set direction for a team and motivate others to action
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated ability to create inclusive environments that honors and supports a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives
- Mission Orientation: Demonstrated passion for KIPP LA’s mission
- Experienced in supporting highly effective and Master’s level teachers and new (resident) teachers
- Deep knowledge in curriculum, instruction and adult learning
- Excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills
- High sense of urgency
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues with diplomacy and even-handedness and ability to work effectively with teammates of all levels
Minimum Educational Level:
- Master’s degree or higher, preferably in education
- Doctoral-level degree, either accomplished or in progress highly preferred
Minimum Experience Required
- 5+ years working in K-12 public education
- Experience observing teachers and managing and delivering professional development programs for teachers desired
- Teacher Residency experience desired
- Stand, walk or bend over, kneel, crouch, reach overhead, grasp, push, and pull
- Move, lift and/or carry up to 30 to 50 pounds
- Walk up and down stairs
- Repetitive use of hands (i.e. fine manipulation, simple grasping, and power grasping).
- Demonstrate normal depth perception
- Sitting, walking or standing for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, operate standard office equipment, and use a telephone
- See and read a computer screen and printed matter with or without vision aids
- Distinguish colors
- Read and understand rules and policies, labels, and instructions
- Hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone
- Verbal communications, including the ability to speak and hear at normal room levels and on the telephone.
- Ability to travel a minimum of two days per month to California
- Work indoors in a standard office environment, computer lab, and/or classroom environment
- Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments
- Exposure to dust, oils, and cleaning chemicals
- Some exposure to childhood and other diseases in a school environment
- May be required to work outside of normal workdays and office hours to meet operational deadlines
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP LA strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippla.org/
. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.