KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 17 schools and serves approximately 7,200 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- We are seeking a highly-motivated, creative, team-oriented Associate Director of Marketing to join the KIPP LA External Impact Team. This person will help create and direct the internal and external marketing efforts for KIPP LA with a significant focus on expanding KIPP LA’s brand awareness in the greater Southern California region and beyond.
- The Associate Director of Marketing will be responsible for supporting marketing and communications for all KIPP LA Public Schools constituencies: families, teachers, team members, donors, community stakeholders, etc.
- The ideal candidate will be mission-oriented, self-driven, have the ability to manage and develop team members, and be able to manage up. The candidate will need to be able to function in a highly cooperative, collaborative environment to develop and implement strategy that maximizes creativity in distinguishing KIPP LA Public Schools as a leader in the education space. An emphasis on ability to market to multiple audiences is a must. Finally, the Associate Director will be responsible for managing multiple and at-times, competing priorities.
- The Associate Director of Marketing will report to the Chief External Impact Officer.
- Develop and implement marketing plans to support a variety of efforts: fundraising, teacher recruitment, student recruitment and retention, stakeholder communications, and the overall KIPP LA brand.
- Identify, evaluate, and execute opportunities that increase KIPP LA’s visibility among key audiences.
- Oversee KIPP LA’s online marketing strategy as it relates to the website, SEM, display ads, traditional advertising and inbound marketing, emails, and social media.
KIPP LA Assets & Materials
- Oversee the development of engaging communications pieces consistent with KIPP LA’s brand messaging such as newsletters, direct mail, annual reports, advertising, as well as student and talent recruitment campaigns to attract attention and generate interest.
- Maintain brand consistency and graphic identity with a strong eye for visual design elements, including logo design, creation of invitations, and other marketing materials.
- Further develop KIPP LA’s brand identity and key message points to support strategic positioning in the Southern California area.
- Develop KIPP LA and individual school communications templates and other school-based communications as requested.
- Copy edit a range of written programmatic and fundraising materials with a high attention to detail in order to ensure clarity, conciseness, and effectiveness.
- Develop and maintain KIPP LA’s website to ensure it is maximizing impact for all audiences.
Team Management & Strategic Planning
- Manage a Marketing Team of two that includes a Marketing Coordinator and Design Assistant; set overall marketing direction and priorities to support development initiatives and organizational growth.
- Work cross-functionally across the organization to maximize marketing efforts.
- Work with peers from other teams to understand and support their marketing efforts.
- Drive the strategy for KIPP LA’s social media, website traffic, and other emerging media based on current marketing trends and data.
- Assist in the planning and execution of other development team priorities, including event execution and other activities as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or other related area is required
- Minimum 5-7 years of strategic communications and/or writing-intensive marketing experience with demonstrated success in creating persuasive communications materials
- Passion for education and the belief that every child can succeed. Experience in education or other non-profit field a plus
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, and presentation skills with a keen ability to proofread and edit others’ work
- Experience managing direct reports, budget, and freelancers/consultants
- Detail- and results-oriented team player who is dedicated to getting the job done
- Successful track record of collaboratively working with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to take initiative, develop, and seek out creative ideas
- Comfort with working in a fast-paced, nonprofit environment along with an outstanding ability to multi-task, prioritize, manage, and execute projects at a high level
- Understanding of the Los Angeles education landscape and education reform preferred
- Spanish language fluency - both written and verbal - preferred
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- Employer-paid KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)