The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking a Mobile Museum Educator for our Education and Programs Department. This position is responsible for the teaching and implementation of the Mobile Museum Programs, which include the Archeology Experience and Ocean Experience at school sites, related onsite school visit programs, and community events throughout Los Angeles County.
Primary responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Program Instruction: Facilitates programs through the Mobile Museum Programs which includes the Archeology Experience and Ocean Experience offsite on the modified trailer exhibits and within school classrooms, related onsite school visit programs at NHM, and community events throughout Los Angeles County. Manages offsite operations for the program including setting up and striking down processes on the Mobiles each day. Reports maintenance issues to appropriate staff.Open Houses: Participates in school and community open houses.
- Mobile Museum Program Records: Maintains daily log of mobile and education operations.
- Program statistics: Tracks and records audience data for evaluation and grant reporting purposes.
- Mobile Museum Program School Relations: Serves as liaison to school administrators and teachers.
- Mobile Museum Curriculum: Assists in the development and updating of program curriculum, pre and post visit materials, activity books and field notebooks for programs as requested.
- Daily contact with students, teachers, school administrators, and the public.
- Cleaning and day-to-day maintenance of learning spaces and educational materials.
- Ongoing research of Mobile Museums and NHMLA programmatic content.
- Representing the museum at community events and festivals.
This position has the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, science, or related field preferred.
- One or more years teaching experience preferred, especially with K-12 school audiences in a museum or other informal learning setting
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills. Fluency in a second language, especially Spanish, is a plus
- Possession of a personal vehicle; willing to travel to school sites throughout Los Angeles County
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Excellent inter-personal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities; Creative thinker and problem-solver
- Communication: Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication.
- Presentation Skills: Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Communication with Children and Adults: Ability to relate to and communicate easily and effectively with children and adults.
- Listening/Observation: Excellent listening and observation skills.
- Very flexible, adaptable and reliable
- Curiosity, interest and capacity to understand and share NHM content and opportunities with non-traditional museum audiences
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking employees who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full-time, temporary, non-exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Interested candidates please visit www.nhm.org/jobs Opens a New Window. and click the link of the position for which you are interested.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please- No Phone Calls, Faxes, or Emails.