The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking a full-time General Services Assistant to work with our Operations department. This position is responsible for performing general maintenance including moving supplies, equipment, furniture and other related duties. On occasion, this position will provide general manual labor to move collection crates and exhibit displays under the direction of staff from the appropriate department.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Facility Maintenance and Repair: Identifies maintenance and repair needs and performs minor jobs such as changing, repairing and maintaining inventory of light bulbs, fixtures and other minor mechanical or electrical devices. CHecks flow rate of water through a water clarifier, maintains water pumps and other plumbing related duties. Works with other Museum staff and volunteers on other repairs, shipping and receiving and facility clean-up.
- Equipment, Tool and Work Area: Maintains tools, equipment and work areas.
- Meeting Set-Up: Sets-up and breaks down tables and chairs for Museum and special events.
- Packaging, Transporting and Shipping: May assist in packing and unpacking art, historical and scientific objects including transporting, placing and dismantling and removing exhibits, cases, walls and necessary Museum materials. May assists in constructing crates and boxes for use in shipping objects from Museum.
- Storage Facilities: Assists in maintaining Museum warehouse storage facilities and loading dock areas ensuring that all department areas, including the mailroom and shipping and receiving area are kept in a clean and orderly fashion.
- General Maintenance and Repairs: Performs minor carpentry and general tasks including replacing doors and partition, maintaining parking lots, minor roof repairs and replacing filters for air handlers. May assist journeymen tradesmen on more extensive work.
- Installation: Performs minor installation work such as making and installing pictures and bulletin boards, repairs poorly fitting doors, windows or drawers. Assists in the coordination of Museum Assistants in the moving of exhibit cases, office furniture and equipment.
This position has the following requirements:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent required.
- A valid California Driver License and a Personal Automobile Liability Insurance or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
- Extended periods of standing, stooping, pulling, pushing, walking and reaching.
- Position may require heavy lifting, up to 75 pounds and may require wearing a back brace for safety. Staff member may, however, be transporting equipment and supplies utilizing a cart or dolly.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, holidays on a regular basis.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full-time, regular, non-exempt position.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.