Administrative Assistant, Advancement
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking an Administrative Assistant for our Advancement department. As part of the Advancement Division, the Administrative Assistant works closely with the Vice President, Advancement Services to provide general administrative and clerical support such as processing, data entry, filing, appointment scheduling, and communication processing at the Natural History Museum.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Screens office callers and telephone calls, furnishes requested information, refers calls to more appropriate parties, and personally handles calls which do not require the attention of the supervisor. As appropriate, handles complaints or refers to the appropriate staff member. Checks materials being submitted for supervisor’s attention to ascertain that all relevant information (data, files,
- Prepares memos, meeting agendas, meeting notes/minutes, email correspondence and letters as directed. Replies to correspondence as directed. Drafts memo, letters and reports as directed for review by supervisor. Proofs text and statistical information and edits documents created by supervisor or others in the division as directed. Prepares and assembles documents including copying and mail processing as necessary.
- Makes appointments and arranges conferences and meetings for supervisor and others in the division as directed. Schedules meetings on the Museum Master Calendar as appropriate and provides logistical support for meetings including registration, refreshments and audiovisual equipment. Arranges for parking for external guests and greets guests at the Security Desk and escorts them to the division.
- As directed by supervisor, coordinates the work of teams and other projects. Secures information on the status of pending matters and reasons for delay in the completion of projects within the division as directed by supervisor.
- Gathers data for general information purposes or special reports, contacting other departments, employees and external parties for needed information and drafts reports as requested.
- Enters information into divisional databases as needed. Unless otherwise assigned in the division, serves as the liaison to Information Technology for any repairs and software updates needed within the division.
- Creates and maintains physical and data files for supervisor and as appropriate, the division.
- Unless otherwise assigned within the division, maintains inventory for general office supplies for division and handles all orders when needed.
- Unless otherwise assigned, reviews incoming bills and/or invoices for agreement with purchase orders and physical inventories. Prepares deposits, check requests, purchase orders, expense reports, travel requests and other similar financial transactions for approval by department management. Interacts with the Finance Department as needed to verify vendor payments and the proper recording of other financial transactions.
This position has the following requirements:
- Prior Administrative or secretarial experience preferred.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent required.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a Part/full time temporary/regular, non/exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhm.org/jobs and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please, No Phone Calls, No Fax.