The Downtown Women’s Center seeks a full time Housing Navigator, responsible for building collaborative relationships in the Community within Los Angeles County, Community Based Organizations, and landlords that would potentially be renting to the program participants. The Housing Navigator will assist clients and Case Managers with housing search services and advocate to establish a network of landlords willing to work with the housing programs. This position will perform inspections and support Case Managers with the annual re-certifications; will assist clients and case managers in the initial and annual application process; develop and accumulate available housing resources and implement the processes necessary to assist clients to secure and maintain stable, safe and affordable housing. This position is part of an interdisciplinary team and provides innovative services that are at the forefront of homeless services. An ideal candidate is strengths-based, decisive, flexible, and creative. This position is a member of the Community Based Housing department and reports directly to the Rapid Rehousing Program Manager.
- Complete CES packet (triage tool) on all clients identified to determine most appropriate level of intervention (rapid re-housing or permanent supportive housing).
- Assist clients with access to temporary housing through referrals.
- Develop, establish, and maintain professional working relationships with landlords and property managers, with emphasis on direct contact and negotiation with unit owners.
- Create and maintain a database of landlords and affordable rental units available to program participants and provides direct housing search assistance to clients needing this type of help.
- Assists clients in executing all necessary paperwork during the housing search and after a suitable unit is located, including rental applications, leases or rental agreements, house rules, etc.
- Assists the Case Manager to request appropriate financial assistance funds needed for security deposit and/or first month’s rent and utilities.
- Explains program requirements and provides information to landlords, tenants and members of the community when questions or concerns about the program arise.
- Conducts unit inspections as required by the Rental Subsidy program policies and guidelines
- Assists with establishing and monitoring house rules, compliance with program requirements and fair housing
- Educate clients about tenants’ rights and resources
- Provide strengths-based housing navigation and service coordination designed to assist clients in obtaining and maintaining stable housing.
- Utilize evidence based practices in service delivery such as intensive case management, Motivational Interviewing, Harm Reduction, Critical Time Intervention, and Housing First practices.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of activities and services provided to each client using HMIS/Clarity.
- Participate in community meetings pertaining to services benefitting clients, and serve as a representative of DWC at community events.
- Provide regular, written reports to the Rapid Rehousing Program Manager and the Director of Community Based Housing and additional reports as assigned.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the areas of housing resources.
- Other duties as assigned to support the mission of the organization.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Time Management
- Decision Making
- Communication Proficiency
- Collaboration Skills
- Organization Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Communication Proficiency