The Finance department supports the foundation’s grantmaking goals by managing financial activities that include budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, cash disbursements, audit, expense management, investment accounting, and tax. The Finance team maintains a system of internal controls to ensure that financial operations are well managed and comply with GAAP and IRS reporting requirements. They perform relevant analysis and financial reporting to inform management decisions.
About the Position
The Associate Accountant reviews employee expense reports and matching gift submissions and assists employees with their corporate cards. This includes reviewing for compliance with the foundation’s policies and procedures and elevating discrepancies for resolution. This position participates in foundation financial reporting through vendor card maintenance, reconciling general ledger accounts, and performing financial analysis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that travel expenses comply with policies, procedures, and regulatory guidance by reviewing and auditing employee expense reports for accuracy and compliance. Initiates timely employee expense reimbursement payments through ACH or check.
- Maintains the integrity and internal controls over employee travel reimbursements by providing guidance, identifying issues and appropriate solutions, and updating procedures, policies, and workflow documentation
- Supports department’s due diligence processes by performing monthly analysis and forecast of travel expenses and assisting in budgeting, forecasting, and audit activities. Reconciles general ledger and sub-ledger accounts of various levels of complexity for monthly and year-end closes.
- Monitors the foundation’s credit card program and workflow by reconciling credit card usage between the service provider and the employee reimbursement system, tracking usage, processing credit limit changes and card cancellations, and resolving disputes/fraudulent activity.
- Administers the employee and retiree matching gifts program by handling participant inquiries and the foundation’s relationship with the service provider.
- Maintains clear and accurate documentation by tracking monthly accounting activities as well as recording process controls and procedures.
- Remains current on relevant systems and accounting /tax standards by researching pertinent trends in the regulatory environment and accounting field.
- Initiates and implements continuous process/reporting improvements and contributes to the assessment of internal controls.
- Learns and performs other accounting responsibilities as needed, including back-up responsibilities during transitions and vacations.
- Ensures that new employees understand procedures by providing training on the foundation’s travel expense policy and use of employee travel reimbursement system, the matching gift policy, and the gift request system.
- Contributes to better user experience by providing technical and administrative support for the expense reimbursement and matching gifts system.
- Collaborates with the IT department to implement or enhance computer systems and applications.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, preferred
- Two years of accounting experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Great Plains or other accounting systems. Prior experience of any travel reimbursement system is a plus
- Positive flexible attitude and excellent customer service orientation
- Accounting capabilities, including account reconciliations and journal entries
- Attention to detail, dependable for problem solving, reliable and accurate for policy application. Demonstrates initiative, organization, and time management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to both set and manage expectations
- Excellent interpersonal skills, comfort in dealing with all levels of the organization and a demonstrated ability to work in a team to accomplish the goals of the department and the foundation
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to spend extended periods of time at the computer.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources explaining how your skills fit this position:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject Line: [Your Name] – Associate Accountant)
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search.