Under the general direction of the Vice President, Marketing & Communications, the Director, Marketing & Content Production will lead the messaging and production of content of the United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA) brand, increasing the awareness and visibility of UWGLA among the general public through integrated communications and marketing strategies including media relations, social media, content creation, and thought leadership. The Director, Marketing & Content Production is responsible for shaping and creating all brand messaging and content, as well as the creation and execution of all public relations and social media strategies targeting internal and external audiences. The Director, Marketing & Content Production will oversee the creative direction and production of all marketing materials and assets. Through integrated communications strategies and compelling assets, the Director, Marketing & Content Production will advance the UWGLA mission, brand and thought leadership position.
Growing our brand and clarifying our mission is critical to the health of our business and will help lead the transformation of United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Define the vision for the UWGLA brand, ensuring brand consistency across all channels, and platforms.
- Develop a comprehensive suite of marketing and messaging materials, providing creative direction and communicating a compelling brand position.
- Create and manage strategic partnerships, including corporate partnerships, event sponsorships, and cause marketing partnerships.
- Develop a deep understanding of donor segments across a variety of data sources to drive marketing campaigns and strategies.
- Responsible for development and execution of integrated and innovative public relations, thought leadership, and social media plans to advance the awareness of the UWGLA mission and leadership positioning.
- Create an internal communications strategy and develop processes in partnership with Human Resources to ensure consistent, time-sensitive, and inclusive messaging to all employees.
- Manage external agency resources to drive results; direct agency resources and monitor for quality control; provide direct and timely feedback; monitor and measure agency deliverables against goals and objectives.
- Supervise internal staff and external vendors for graphic design, copy writing, photography, and video to create compelling, on-brand content.
- Manage, coach, and develop a team of direct reports.
- Develop processes to ensure intra-departmental success, while championing cross-functional collaboration.
- Regularly communicate plans, report on results and set expectations with Executive and Leadership teams and other stakeholders with confidence and clarity.
- Stay current on market, competition, best practices, and trends, applying them to strategies when applicable.
- Develop and manage Marketing budgets.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in English, Marketing, or Public Relations, or equivalent professional experience required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of related experience in Public Relations, Corporate Communications, Marketing, and Strategic Partnerships; in both agency and corporate environments preferred.
- Marketing experience in areas of Brand/Consumer Marketing (e.g., CRM, digital marketing, e-commerce, customer insights, sales, strategy consulting).
- Experience developing innovative 360 degree marketing plans that heavily leverage digital and social mediums to deliver effective marketing messages.
- Proven ability to translate complicated subject matters, such as policy and advocacy work, into simple, compelling and clear communications
- Experience creating visual content for social media platforms including video production, infographics, and other imagery to drive loyalty
- Interest in local and state current events, politics, and issues is a plus
- Extensive media relations experience, with established relationships with top-tier local, consumer, trade, and other relevant contacts.
- Ability to quickly gain expert fluency on all aspects of the organization’s activities and priorities, and to maintain knowledge of our Community Impact work, current events, politics, and work events.
- Ability to tie initiatives to high level business objectives and roll up sleeves to drive flawless and timely execution and monitoring of performance.
- Self-motivated and independent, with excellent prioritization, project management and critical thinking skills, a strong sense of focus, organization, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively across functions, including Marketing & Communications, Development & Engagement, Community Impact, Finance, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to communicate strategy, tactics, and results with clarity for a variety of audiences.
- Enthusiastic team player with positive can-do attitude, flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task and switch tasks fluidly, including ability to hit the ground running.
- Ability to creatively troubleshoot and work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with numerous deadlines.
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel) is essential. Asana and Emma, a plus.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.