Under the general direction and guidance of the Manager, Homeless Systems Change, the Program Coordinator, Homeless Initiatives will be responsible for critical aspects of Home For Good, the initiative to create and sustain an end to homelessness in LA County. The Program Coordinator will be on the front lines of this inspiring and historic effort serving as a critical link to community-based providers and public agency partners. He/she will work to identify, cultivate, and coordinate pilot projects and policy changes that have a catalytic effect on ending homelessness.
We invite candidates to join together with our dynamic, innovative team of implementers. The work environment is fast-paced and energized, focused on continuous learning and improvement both internally and out in the field. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep passion for ending homelessness, possess a strong work-ethic, enjoy dynamic problem-solving, operate with a team & mission-first mindset, and exhibit a track record of cultivating easy, meaningful, and productive relationships with diverse partners.
- Drive improved performance in our homeless service delivery system by project managing policy improvements and pilot efforts around the following 3-year goals: 1) a meaningful reduction in street homelessness, 2) the creation of 3,000 more short-term places to sleep, 3) the approval of 3,000 units of permanent supportive housing, and 4) growth in organizational provider capacity.
- Help ensure impact of Home For Good’s high level stakeholder tables by coordinating preparation and follow-up for monthly Home For Good Policy Team, City/County/LAHSA Partners meeting, CES Operations Team and Policy Working Group, and Regional Homelessness Advisory Council.
- Act as Home For Good’s primary liaison to key public agencies (e.g., LA County Department of Mental Health), working with program staff to suggest and improve policies that are critical to improving performance measures and ending homelessness.
- Cultivate necessary relationships with staff at leading service providers, public agency staff, and community stakeholders to understand the context of policy changes and identify new hurdles and opportunities to the achievement of our policy goals.
- Collaborate with United Way’s Development & Engagement and Marketing & Communications Teams to provide creative engagement opportunities for additional stakeholders to participate in the regional efforts to end homelessness.
- Support United Way’s effort to secure greater resources for community impact via meaningful real-time impact statistics and stories at the end of each quarter from work with key regions and agencies.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years work experience with related experience in service delivery, systems change or policy work preferred.
- Expertise and background in policy, continuous improvement, and systems change strategies preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Working knowledge of the root causes of and solutions to homelessness.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse environment.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making.
- Must be able to utilize creative strategies to engage stakeholders and maintain effective working relationship with key stakeholders.
- Should possess strong interpersonal skills, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to persuade small and large groups alike.
- Must be able to successfully consolidate competing priorities from stakeholders toward a singular goal.
- Must be able to prioritize work, meet specific deadlines, and make appropriate adjustments to changing circumstances as necessary
- Proactive and self-motivated to execute on responsibilities
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Willing to work flexible hours as needed to support department priorities and events
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential; experience using Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft CRM, or comparable programs is a plus.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets (use of formulas, charting, and formatting) preferred
- Prior experience using Tableau, ESRI GIS, Clarity Bitfocus and Looker tool preferred.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.