Oversee Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA (PHS) shelter operations, including animal care, cleaning and handling, facility maintenance and repair, and work with medical team to ensure animal health, and disease control. Manage departmental staff, budgets, inventory and ordering of supplies.
Manage all staff in behavior, facility and animal care programs.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and manage the functioning of the animal care programs, ensuring the highest standards in animal care with a goal of meeting the five freedoms.
- Ensure animals’ needs are met, animals are fed, moved around the facility in a humane manner and facility is clean and sanitized.
- Develop and manage the functioning of the behavior department to ensure behavior assessments are completed in a timely manner and that programs are developed and implemented to assist adopters and pet owners with their behavior needs. Programs include, but are not limited to, behavior helplines and training classes. Oversee the creation of animal behavior plans for shelter animals and the training of humane handling and behavior for staff and volunteers.
- Identify and address challenges, and ensure adherence to PHS policies and protocols.
- Oversee goals and objectives, process development and implementation.
- Assist the medical program by monitoring the health of shelter animals and communicating and documenting information as per established process.
- Assist with the creation of manuals, training, and teaching of programs regarding animal care and behavior.
- Manage the animal care, behavior, and facilities program leads and staff, including hiring, terminations, payroll, and scheduling, training, counseling, and general productivity of the workforce.
- Create and manage budget allocations, fund balances and related financial activities as it relates to the department goals and programs.
- Maintain records and inventory of supplies.
- Ensure a positive, educational approach to customer service with a goal of educating the public and keeping animals in homes as appropriate. Promote positive relations with the general public, volunteers and staff while promoting the Society’s programs, policies and philosophies. Address customer complaints.
- Uphold Pasadena Humane Society’s mission and contribute to building a culture of philanthropy.
- Ensure a safe working environment and actively participate in PHS safety programs.
- Participate as needed in special department projects.
- Work as a team member with other departmental managers.
- Represent PHS at outside meetings, act as a liaison with other organizations and contractors/partners as needed. Make presentations and speak publically about PHS.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, volunteers, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Must come to work regularly and on time, follow directions, take criticism, get along with coworkers and supervisors, treat coworkers, supervisory staff, members and guests with respect, courtesy, and refrain from abusive, insubordinate and/or violent behavior.
- Must participate in All Staff Meeting every third Thursday of the month.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must have valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experienced manager with a minimum of five years of experience in animal care, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- High competency with computer programs specifically Microsoft Word, Excel and Google office suite.
- Well-developed interpersonal, public speaking, written and program development skills.
- Excellent communication and management skills and proven organizational ability.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and manage several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Proficient in computer applications, including the shelter system, Microsoft Office suite and email.
- Strong sense of professional judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must come to work regularly and on time. Must be available for early hours. Must be able to work early hours according to the needs of the department schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- Fast-paced environment. Employees are exposed to numerous animals (live and deceased), including those with uncertain dispositions. They are required to act in a safe and responsible manner.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop kneel, crouch, crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The Pasadena Humane Society and SPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy not to engage in discrimination against any individual, or harassment of any person seeking employment with our organization on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic information or status as a covered veteran including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices, including recruitment, selection, promotion, transfer, merit increase, salary, training and development, demotion, and separation. This policy is intended to be consistent with the provisions of applicable State and Federal laws. Federal law requires proof of citizenship or "alien right-to-work" status. PHS maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing.