The Natural History Museum is seeking a Lead Digital Developer in the Creative Services Department. This position is responsible for bringing to life the digital strategy across all interactions in a digitally expanding institution. Co-creating with a diverse cross-functional team and focusing on key elements of our brand’s vision and mission – this role brings to life strategies, projects and initiatives through campaigns, stand-alone experiences/apps with a cohesive visual identity across all touch points. Working with complex content and collaborating with other designers, departments or functions the Lead Digital Developer develops strategic design initiatives and manage the museum’s websites and online initiatives with executional excellence.
Responsibilities for this position includes, but are not limited to:
- Develops visitor user experiences that integrate immersive technologies to existing social, web and exhibit presence, creating immersive, user-friendly design/interactive solutions.
- Responsible for leading the digital strategy, developing and implementing an integrated comprehensive digital program that engages physical and virtual visitors alike.
- Manages the Museum's websites and digital landscape (including planning, producing and implementing projects within a digital roadmap).
- Integrates design and development of all digital touchpoints and functionality, ensuring strong optimization and best practices.
- Recommends and oversees System Maintenance administering Linux and Apache, including SSL and PCI compliance. Interacts with servers using SSH, FTP and Telnet protocols.
- Plans overall web/digital related projects and development and monitors website technical performance, web servers, and other web systems. Works on projects including web layout enhancements, website enhancements, web-based applications, and database-backed websites using MySQL and MSSQL Server with Drupal 6/7/8, CSS and XHTML.
- Supervise interactive design/functionality/databases for the NHMLA’s web and mobile experiences, leveraging latest industry trends, ensuring optimization and best practices.
- Co-create and integrate digital experience strategies together with the leadership team of Marketing, Design & Communications that advance NHMLA’s strategic initiatives.
- Leading directly with teams from other departments, operations and external programs bringing a digital experience strategy across all visitor touch points (including new, permanent and temporary exhibits).
- Generate prototypes for concepts or wireframes that realize the goals of the digital experience strategy.
- Manage team (including Junior Web Developer/contractors/agencies) that delivers a range of industry-recognized digital experiences.
- Define and developing dashboards for relevant analytics across all digital platforms.
- Anticipate and developing protocols for technical infrastructure.
- Oversee technical standard/compliance protocols for database development across web and web-based applications (e.g. MySQL NoSQL, and MSSQL and Linux/Apache).
- Communicate clearly and effectively with business partners.
- Demonstrate strong presentation skills.
- Partnering cross-functionally to develop/implement a digital roadmap, pipeline of projects or strategic initiatives.
This position has the following requirements:
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional digital-related experience with an emphasis on web/mobile platforms (not including time spent in school)
- Bachelor’s degree required/Master’s degree preferred (Design or Computer Science preferred)
- 50% hands-on development work—we are seeking technologists who deliver thoughtful solutions and can adapt quickly to shifting requests/deliverables
- Ability to analyze, simplify, and design interactions technically that are optimized with best practices
- Natural affinity for problem-solving and improving functionality with cutting-edge user experiences
- Ability to effectively manage complex digital prototype development
- Aptitude to create a collaborative team environment leading multi-disciplinary design teams
- Experience with design strategy methodology and practice
- Strong visitor/user-centered design approach and understanding of agile methodology
- Strong visual, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate and present ideas to cross-functional business partners
- A strong (yet flexible) design perspective
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Experience interfacing with corporate clients (agency/consultancy background helpful)
- Experience with cross-platform (Mac, PC & Mobile) software application and document management
- Experience working with and writing custom database structures (Drupal Modules, MySQL and NoSQL)
- Adeptness with and a detailed understanding of front-end development tools/interface applications plus relevant software fluency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative etc.
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full time, regular, exempt position.
The Natural History Museum is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please, No Phone Calls, No Fax.