The Tech Hire Program provides youth, young adults and unemployed workers with individualized counseling, training and supportive and specialized services leading to employment in IT occupations. TechHire provides services that lead to middle and high skilled employment, including assessment, coaching and counseling, short-term or accelerated training, and longer-term training leading to degrees and/or industry-recognized credentials.
The Tech Tutor will have some flexibility in work hour schedule, but evening hours and some Saturdays are required. Experience in web development should be demonstrated with on-line portfolio. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Assist with the development and updating of department website pages as needed.
- Assist potential TechHire students as they explore careers in the Information Communication Technology (ICT) industry.
- Conduct outreach to recruit new students.
- Flexible, energetic, positive individual with commitment to serving the community in a high quality, respectful environment.
- Assist TechHire students to complete Bootcamp classes and assignments within the time prescribed.
- Work one-on-one and lead labs for Bootcamp students and alum; tutoring may include skype and digital mentoring.
- Evaluate participant knowledge and IT skills and make recommendations for future courses of study.
- Lead Coding Academies and engage community members to inspire career choices in the Information Communication Technology (ICT) industry.
- Serve as Project Manager for student projects; assigning work and ensuring student understanding and participation.
- Create case notes and reports following prescribed program protocol.
- Engage business on behalf of TechHire and work with team members to increase employment opportunities for TechHire graduates.
- Work with GED instructors to incorporate ICT into curriculum; may assist in providing ICT instruction.
- May assist with lab set-ups and event promotions.
- Maintain a professional attitude, confidentiality, and respect cultural differences.
- Assist in development and coordination of special assignments and programs.
- Will work evenings and some Saturdays.
- Knowledge of IT fields including software development, network administration, and cybersecurity.
- Demonstrated experience in Web Development, Coding or related field
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Demonstrated competency with record-keeping, documentation and data management.
- Flexible, energetic, positive individual with commitment to youth development in a high quality, respectful environment.
- Ability to establish rapport and relate sensitively to a multiracial and multicultural group of young people and staff.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, prioritize multiple tasks, manage competing priorities, meet deadlines—all with attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to make group presentations and facilitate group activities.
- Superior computer and organizational skills with significant experience in Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
- Experience working with youth from at-risk environments, ages 16-24 preferred
- Bilingual; English/Spanish preferred.
- Must have access to reliable transportation. If applicable, will be required to provide proof of current California driver license, acceptable driving record (current DMV H6 printout), and current liability auto insurance.