The YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles is not only the premiere non-profit in LA, it's also a great place to work, make a difference in your community and meet like-minded individuals. The LA area is home to the second largest YMCA Association in the US, with 26 branches, 2 camps and over 50 child care sites. The LA Y is a highly-collaborative, rewarding and fun environment where you will discover your passions, grow your career and make an impact!
We believe in the four Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility and understand that our staff are our biggest asset! We strive to create high-performing, strong teams in each of our branches and are looking for passionate and enthusiastic staff who will help us to strengthen our impact, empower our community and deliver incredible programming!
The Healthy Lifestyles Counselor is responsible for creating welcoming and supportive environments in YMCA Fitness centers. Responsibilities include: monitoring health and fitness programs, engaging with members to help them in accomplish their healthy living goals and participating in member incentive and, member retention activities.
- Current CPR certification;
- Foundations of YMCA Strength and Conditioning or equivalent
- As current non-Y certifications lapse and/or require renewal/recertification via CEC's through a 3rd party vendor (whether ACSM, NSCA, AFAA, Pilates, or other) staff may keep those certifications current at their own expense.
- If staff choose not to keep their non-Y certifications current, as a condition of employment to continue to work for the Y, staff will be required to complete the Y-ACE certifications.
- Y-ACE has an equivalency certification provision. Anyone holding an equivalent certification from another recognized entity can apply for an equivalency.
- Strong character values; communication skills
- Previous experience as a fitness instructor preferred
- Create a welcoming environment in all YMCA program areas taking time to talk to members and enthusiastically greet them by name with a smile and eye contact.
- Proactively connect and monitor members to develop, and support the achievement of their goals for healthy living, and matching members' interests to YMCA programs.
- Conduct appointments with members to help them develop and meet their fitness goals.
- Confirm member appointments and timely member follow up as required.
- Create a safe environment by being aware of your surroundings and monitoring members to ensure they are performing exercises correctly; explain/demonstrate proper form to members when necessary.
- Responsible for building small communities by facilitating connections with and between members.
- Assist Members with their questions and monitor activity in the fitness area.
- Respond promptly and courteously to all member complaints, compliments and inquiries while following the appropriate procedures at all times.
- Actively interact with members regarding their participation in YMCA programs, Annual Support Campaign and Special Events.
- Monitor fitness room to ensure equipment is functioning, put away and clean.
- Model and enforce Code of Conduct, Healthy Living Policies, and administrate member issues as they arise. Positively interpret these policies to members.