Under the general direction of the Director, Major Gifts, the Senior Major Gifts Officer is primarily responsible for developing and managing relationships with specific assigned donors, with the capacity to give $10,000 or more on an annual basis. The Senior Major Gifts Officer will provide planning, coordinating, and follow-through with the implementation of donor engagement strategies for one-to-one contact with high wealth individuals.
- With assigned major donors and prospects, personally initiate and cultivate one-to-one relationships that enhance the donor’s connection and lifetime loyalty to United Way.
- On an ongoing basis, utilize team and volunteer resources to enhance philanthropic gift opportunities and options and increase donor’s (and prospects) involvement, if appropriate.
- Secure new or increased gifts for the annual campaign and longer-term initiative efforts.
- Design highly customized donor engagement plans for assigned donors and high wealth prospective donor lists in collaboration with Development & Engagement department team and other United Way departments.
- Provide support and facilitate a positive, coordinated representation for major donors by closely working with the all sectors of the Development & Engagement department.
- As a member of the Major Gifts team, develop volunteer management plan that leverages resources and compliments a variety of volunteer strengths and opportunities in prospecting, cultivating, soliciting, and strategic planning.
- Ensure the creation and implementation of a personalized donor recognition program for assigned donors.
- Integrate planned giving options into donor relationship development activities.
- Actively support the development of a donor relations data system (CRM) to maintain and capture critical donor information.
- Assist, as needed, in prospect research and identification; with the Director of Major Gifts, create an ongoing list of prospective volunteer cabinet members and key influencers from major corporate accounts.
- Continuously cultivate relationships with current donors, and engage new prospects through one-on-one meetings and regular correspondence.
- On occasion, represent United Way to a variety of external constituencies with high wealth and establish a dialogue about philanthropic values and priorities.
- Participate in the development and implementation of market segment strategies as required for one-to-one donor relationship building; provide statistical analysis and market evaluation as needed.
- Communicate and integrate with internal departments and operations to strengthen company relationships and develop greater customer service.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum 5 years related experience in sales or fundraising with a proven track record of securing major gifts required.
- Should possess strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to accurately manage and analyze data.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision- making.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities and demonstrate confidence working with corporate and community leaders.
- Willingness to network outside of normal business hours, such as fundraising dinners, community events, conferences, and one-to-one with high net work individuals
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, Outlook, and PowerPoint is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable fundraising database software preferred.