*This is a hybrid position with remote and work-from-home set up.
The Senior Communications Manager will report to the Associate Director of Communications and will be responsible for developing and executing communications strategies that advance Catalyst California’s critical work across several issues such as political participation and democracy, equitable budgets, criminal justice, and educational equity.
The successful applicant must have a strong, demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice, ability to develop effective communication content requiring minimal editing and rework, and experience overseeing multiple streams of work at the same time.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy aligned with the organization's mission and goals that include goals, target audiences, messaging, media relations strategies for all digital platforms, and earned media.
• Supervise and mentor junior staff.
• Help develop organizational communications strategies to enhance brand awareness.
• Collaborate closely with program teams to align messaging and communication efforts with programmatic goals and initiatives.
• Increase coverage of Catalyst California issues/messages by cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, producers, and bookers across California.
• Prepare Catalyst California staff for media appearances.
• Create compelling content, including press releases, op-eds, articles, blog posts, and social media posts, to effectively communicate our message and engage our audience.
• Identify and lead responses to breaking news events.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties may be considered.
• Minimum of 7 years of media relations experience and/or digital advocacy experience, including a demonstrated record of producing persuasive content, pitching stories, cultivating reporter relations, and staffing messengers for interviews.
• Experience managing and mentoring a team of communications professionals.
• Exceptional interpersonal, written, analytical, and verbal communication skills.
Candidate Profile, Skills, and Abilities
• Sincere and demonstrated commitment to advancing social, economic, and/or racial justice progress for the highest-need communities.
• Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
• Proficiency in digital communication tools and platforms (X, Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok are preferred).
• Experience in strategic communications advocacy preferred.
• Ability to work with diverse groups of people, including community-based partners in low-income and communities of color.
• Collaborative, dependable self-starter with a record of producing high-quality work for different audiences under tight deadlines.
• Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situations and changing priorities.
• Must be able to travel locally and statewide.
• Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
In the spirit of pay transparency, we are excited to share the base salary range for this position is $85,000 - $100,000. If you are hired at Catalyst California, your final salary compensation will be determined based on factors such as skills, education, and/or experience. In addition to those factors, we believe in the importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our current team members as a part of any final offer. Please keep in mind that the range mentioned above is the full salary range for the role. Hiring at the maximum of the range would not be typical in order to allow for future and continued salary growth.
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits for eligible employees and their spouses and/or dependents, including registered Domestic Partners.
• 403B retirement plan with employer matching benefits after 90 days.
• Flexible Spending Account for eligible employees to allocate pre-tax money throughout the year.
• Fifteen (15) vacation days, six (6) personal days, eight (8) sick days, along with national and office holidays.
• Organizational and team Wellness Days to build team cohesion and camaraderie.
• Opportunity to work in a flexible work culture that is sensitive to employee wellbeing and encourages work-life balance.
• Provide scheduling flexibility for parents and caregivers and telework stipend.
• Opportunity to see the meaning and impact of your work at an organization actively building more equitable communities and systems across California.
• Opportunity to work in an organization dedicated to pay equity and diverse work culture.
• Yearly professional development allowance and support of personalized professional development goals.
Please send an email with the subject “Last Name, First Name – Senior Communications Manager Application” and a cover letter, resume, and a strategic communications advocacy writing sample (op-ed, press release, blog post) as a PDF. The attachments should be titled “Last Name, First Name – Document Type.pdf” (e.g., McCorkle, Katrice – Resume.pdf) and sent to:
Human Resources Senior Manager
• Phone interview with hiring manager
• Two panel interviews (via Zoom)
• Reference Checks
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Catalyst California is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive staff team. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities; and/or formerly incarcerated people.