Envision all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every single day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? you bet!
This is satisfying work that makes a real difference in people's lives. You can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. You will connect with people and make a lifesaving impact. You will partner with individuals, schools, lawmakers, healthcare providers and others to ensure everyone has access to healthier lifestyle choices and proper healthcare.
Help us ensure that everyone in the greater Los Angeles area has the opportunity to live a longer, healthier life! In this Business Development Director role, you will manage the Heart of LA campaign, including our signature Heart Ball experience, with direct accountability for campaign and division revenue goals. This is an ideal opportunity to apply your strengths in relationship building to accomplish bold goals through outstanding volunteer leadership engagement and corporate and individual giving.
To help you be successful you will have access to our award-winning learning platform the Heart U as well as various other training and support mechanisms locally and through our National Center.
Due to the current pandemic, all American Heart Association offices are closed and daily travel is minimal and voluntary to ensure the health and safety of staff; all staff are currently working from home. In the future, this position will resume to being based in the local office and having up to 75% daily travel and minimal overnight travel.
- Build and execute strategies for individual donors and prospects in portfolio to ensure growth of donor relationships. Work cross-functionally with Division and Mission Advancement Team to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals and asks to secure gifts.
- Actively develop and manage a portfolio of individual donors, corporate sponsors and prospects of high capacity through ongoing identification, cultivation and stewardship, ensuring one of a kind customer relationships.
- Manage new business development and leadership recruitment for campaigns. Prospect, secure, cultivate and renew corporate sponsorships directly and in collaboration with the Division team and other internal business partners.
- Identify, recruit and activate executive volunteer leadership including implementing a year-round cultivation plan.
- Develop and execute strategic plans to secure the involvement of top businesses within the LA market.
- Provide staff support in planning, implementing and evaluating assigned fundraising events, leveraging event standards and keeping within event timelines and budgets.
- Collaborate and communicate as a member of an interdependent team to ensure achievement of shared goals in volunteer leadership, health impact and fundraising.
- 2+ years experience in fundraising or outside sales or in a non-profit organization in a similar capacity.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, including large and small group presentations, group facilitation, and training. Skill in written communications to include clear and concise narrative reports, evaluations and similar narrative pieces.
- Ability to read, comprehend and analyze number goals, as well as fundraising reports. Skill in use of spreadsheet/database analysis.
- Ability to do daily travel up to 75%; minimal ovenight travel.
- Working proficiency with Microsoft Office applications. CRM experience helpful. These skills are subject to testing.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.
EOE/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities