In response to the current crisis of family separation, detention and need for legal representation, ImmDef is now hiring additional legal and administrative staff. Reporting to the Administrative Coordinator, the Receptionist will be the community’s first point of contact with our organization, and to provide administrative support across all our Programs, but chiefly to the Children Representation Project. This is an excellent entry-level position with a dynamic organization and is perfect for someone looking to get their foot-in-the-door doing social justice work.
- Greet, welcome, direct visitors, announcing them appropriately;
- Field telephone calls and provide basic information when needed;
- Send, receive and sort daily correspondence/deliveries/couriers;
- Schedule appointments;
- Create and maintain spreadsheets and other documents with necessary data;
- Translate documents from Spanish to English, or vice versa;
- Maintain common areas;
- Perform other clerical receptionist duties such as filing, photocopying, scanning, faxing, etc.
- High School Degree or GED is a must, college degree is preferred;
- Experience in customer service highly desired
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Solid written and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Power Point; Typing speed ability: 35 words per minute, Experience working in a start-up non-profit and/or at a public interest law firm is helpful;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a high-volume, busy law office is a plus;
- Spanish language fluency required and will be tested at time of interview;
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required;
- DACA Recipients strongly encouraged to apply!
Classification and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Work schedule will be Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
$15.00 - $18.75 per hour, DOE
Holidays and Paid Time Off
- 12 paid holidays
- 1-Week paid winter break between Christmas and New Years
- 15 vacation days per year
- 12 Sick Days per year
Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- ImmDef offers a number of health plans that are 100% paid plans for staff starting on the 1st of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Additionally, we pay 75% of the premiums for select plans for immediate family members, including registered domestic partners.
FSA and Dependent Care FSA
- ImmDef offers FSA plans to help offset the costs of eligible health care expenses for you, your spouse, and your eligible dependents using pre-tax dollars
- We also offer Dependent Care FSA to pay for eligible dependent care services, such as preschool, summer day camp, before or after school programs, and child or adult daycare.
401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- ImmDef staff are eligible to enroll in our 401(k) plans immediately upon hire, contributing pre-tax dollars towards their retirement goals
- After six months on staff, ImmDef will match 100% of contributions up to 3%
- Funds are vested immediately!
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- As a 501(c)3, qualified ImmDef staff are eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Parking and Travel Stipend
- ImmDef Staff commuting into our DTLA office are eligible for reimbursement of parking or public transit costs up to $90 per month.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language fluency required and will be tested at time of interview.
How to Apply
Email resume, cover letter and at least two references to Jobs2018@immdef.org. Please write LAST NAME_Receptionist Application in the subject line. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
ImmDef believes in second chances. As an organization, we will rely on individualized assessments in the hiring of those with past criminal convictions. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for a position fighting for our immigrant communities!
Immigrant Defenders Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.