The English Learner Achievement Coordinator will manage Promesa Boyle Heights’ (Promesa) program to support the success of Newcomer English Learners at three schools (Mendez High School, Roosevelt High School, and Boyle Heights High School). The Coordinator will be responsible for building relationships, facilitating conversations, trainings, data-analysis and processes that lead to an aligned vision and coordinated strategies that ensure English Learner success, family engagement, and leadership development. The Coordinator works closely with students, parents, school administrators, educators, organizations, and allies to foster collective action at Mendez High School, Roosevelt High School, and Boyle Heights High School. The Coordinator reports directly to Promesa’s Director of Community Schools, and also the Chief Director, the Steering Committee, and works in close coordination with the Promesa Community School Coordinators, school principals, and a wide range of community partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Build and maintain working relationships with a wide-range of partners, including youth, parents, educators, community partners, and institutional leaders;
● Develop and implement outreach strategies to recruit, sustain, and actively involve EL students and their parents in Promesa Boyle Heights initiatives and to connect them to services, resources, and partner organizations;
● Work closely with parents, youth, and stakeholders to identify needs and gaps in academics and wellness in the schools and community for newcomer EL students; leverage partnerships, systems, and resources to transform these obstacles into paths for change
● Supervise a team of EL Peer Mentors who will be working closely with the Newcomer EL students, ensuring the mentors have the support and resources needed to provide mentorship
● Identify and lead planning of teacher professional development training design and execution; plan and implement teacher events and convenings;
● Support Promesa’s community organizer to build parent leadership and engagement around English Learner issues and policies; support curriculum and tool development to build parent leadership and capacity to participate and lead campaigns;
● Collect quantitative and qualitative for the evaluation and reporting of the EL project to inform learning and growth among various partners
● Develop and manage operating plans, timeline, and delegation of tasks for key initiatives;
● Systems development to support Newcomer EL students’ success and other school capacity-building; and
● Lead school-wide campaigns/efforts to support English Learners at the three schools.
● A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of four years of experience required. We will consider candidates without formal educational experience and with more than ten years of comparable professional and organizing backgrounds.
● Knowledge of English Learners, instructional practices, and case management is a plus;
● Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team;
● Must be computer savvy and have experience working with databases, word processing programs, spreadsheets, internet research programs, and PowerPoint.
● Strong leadership abilities including an encouraging, motivating presence to help with conflict management, team building, goal-setting, prioritization, and strategic planning;
● Ability to be flexible, resilient, and adaptable to changing dynamics;
● Work schedule from 9am-5pm that requires some flexibility with evening and weekend meetings/events.
● Spanish-speaking ability, experience working in nonprofits, and/or Boyle Heights lived experience is a huge plus; being a former English Learner is preferred but not required;
● Candidate will start immediately on a full-time basis on a temporary contract until May/June 2020, with the possibility of extending
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and a list of at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary Range: $42,000-$45,000 per year depending on experience. Competitive benefits and vacation package.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and a list of at least three references.