Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Major Gifts is responsible for managing the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s sustaining donor portfolio (annual gifts of $1,500 or more - approximately 470 Donors); managing two Major Gifts Associates; is the liaison with the Veritus Group (consulting firm helping with the expansion of the major gifts program) and integrating the activities into the Center’s Annual Giving moves management program. The Development Department has a goal to raise $18 million for FY’20 and will work to increase funds raised by 8% in FY’21. The program includes researching, prospecting, keeping detailed donor records and managing a well-developed program of donor cultivation, recognition and renewal. Challenges the opportunity to significantly expand membership and revenue, especially at higher-levels gifts of $6,000 and up.
1) Work with the Deputy Director of Development, Director of Membership, direct reports and the Veritus Group (our consulting company) to plan, implement and manage a comprehensive program to identify, cultivate, solicit, recognize and renew/upgrade sustaining donors;
2) Work with management to set goals for the entire Annual Giving program including incremental revenue, renewal, upgrade revenue and the portfolio of lapsed donors and donors in collections;
3) Participate in all aspects of the program including identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and renewal of donors;
4) Implement/manage the Center’s Moves Management system (action tracks) for all assigned portfolios of sustaining donors;
5) Personally develop close working relationships with high net-worth individuals, to engage them in the process of donor cultivation and stewardship;
6) Become a member of professional, social and networking groups and attend weekly events to expand donor prospect base;
7) Entertain donor prospects at lunches, dinners and other appropriate social settings;
8) In addition to tours for the general public, organize tours of Center facilities for high net-worth donors;
9) Review monthly results and revise year-end projections to achieve annual budgeted goals;
10) Work closely with development, administration, communications and program staff to advance program goals;
11) Attend various events throughout Los Angeles to meet new donor prospects and to expand relationships with current donors;
12) In close cooperation with the Chief Development Officer, develop revenue and expense budget for the next fiscal year.
13) Responsible for creating 1 affinity group house party per year. (legal, financial, healthcare, entertainment);
14) Other duties as assigned.
1) Knowledge of or experience working with the LGBTQ community and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBTQ people;
2) A passion for the Center’s work and its mission to make the world a better place for LGBTQ people;
3) 4-6 years of Major Gift fundraising experience, with special emphasis placed on donor relations, identification, membership management and upgrading donor support;
4) College degree or equivalent educational attainment preferred;
5) Working knowledge of the Los Angeles LGBT philanthropic communities a plus;
6) Flexibility to work during the evening and on weekends;
7) Proven concern for detail, organization, and timely follow-through;
8) Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
9) Superior management and leadership capacity;
10) Knowledge of Moves Management and The Raiser’s Edge a plus along with the ability to work as part of a team;
11) Standard office computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheets; familiarity with structure and uses of sophisticated donor records software;
12) Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, ages, English-speaking abilities, immigration statues, and physical abilities in a multicultural environment.