The Healthy Lifestyles Director is responsible for the development and operation of Healthy Living programs, member support and engagement, membership growth and retention, fiscal management, volunteer and staff development, program marketing and communications.
- High school diploma; bachelor's degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, or a related field preferred.
- CPR; Foundations of YMCA Group Exercise or equivalent ACE, AFAA, or ACSM Health Fitness Instructor
- As current non-Y certifications lapse and/or require renewal/recertification via CEC's through a 3rd party vendor (whether ACSM, NSCA, AFAA, Pilates, or other) staff may keep those certifications current at their own expense.
- If staff choose not to keep their non-Y certifications current, as a condition of employment to continue to work for the Y, staff will be required to complete the Y-ACE certifications.
- Y-ACE has an equivalency certification provision. Anyone holding an equivalent certification from another recognized entity can apply for an equivalency.
- Strong character values; communication skills; ability to teach multiple Group Exercise formats
- Experience working in the fitness industry and in small group classes; 1-2 years supervisory experience
- Ensure a welcoming environment in healthy living areas for all members and guests.
- Develop, implement and achieve enrollment goals identified in Branch Annual Operating Plan.
- Oversee and conduct ongoing program member evaluations and surveys to ensure that high levels of quality in programs are maintained at all times; ensure outcomes align with the needs of the community and the branch strategic plan.
- Develop annual marketing plan including mailings, advertisement and community outreach
- Create opportunities (events, initiatives, activities) for members to develop small communities within the branch
- Ensure all staff members are familiar with all programs offered at the YMCA so staff are able to inform members of YMCA programs that will meet members' changing needs and interests
- Set an example for all staff by greeting members by name and taking the initiative to talk to members.
- Identify program volunteer positions and assist with the identification, recruitment and tracking of program volunteers
- Ensure that all facilities, program areas and equipment are clean and in proper working order
- Communicate program information, registration information, schedules, etc., effectively and consistently with branch management and membership staff. Update program brochures and fliers to ensure strong communication throughout the branch.
- Develop annual operating budget for the Healthy Lifestyles department. Manage department budget to achieve monthly, quarterly and annual goals. Maintain systems for variance analysis, revenue and expense monitoring and control.
- Support a year round fund raising program that includes the Annual Support Campaign, special events and President's Club; Responsible for Annual Support Campaign leadership including team captains, division manager and/or team members.
- Recruit and hire staff using screening tools and panel interviews to gain the best possible fit with each opening.
- Provide direct supervision to department staff, assuring that all staff are qualified, certified, and are meeting minimum performance standards for their position.
- Provide training for staff and volunteers on an ongoing basis through staff meetings, special courses and workshops.