Location: San Francisco
The Development Manager plays an instrumental role in meeting REDF’s short-term and long-term revenue goals, focused specifically on cultivating and stewarding a portfolio of foundation, corporate, and government funders. The Manager will lead proposal development; report to funders on programmatic and financial award progress; manage institutional funder data within REDF’s donor database system (Salesforce), and advise on strategy to approach institutional funders. Responsibilities also include tracking institutional giving trends and opportunities, and supporting the operational elements of the Development team.
The ideal candidate will have experience working cross functionally, writing grants, reporting on awards, managing funder data, and working with donor databases (preferably Salesforce). The candidate will bring impeccable writing skills and problem solving strategies to the role.
REDF is a venture philanthropy organization that invests exclusively in the growth and effectiveness of social enterprises―double bottom-line businesses dedicated to helping people who otherwise would be shut out of the workforce, get jobs, keep jobs, and build a better life. Since 1997, REDF has provided funding and specialized advisory services to over 60 social enterprises in California, to help them and the people they employ, succeed, and make spending for government programs go further. Now REDF is expanding the impact of its work nationally, building the field of social enterprise, deepening the evidence base to demonstrate the return on investment, and partnering with some of the most effective and innovative social enterprises around the country to strengthen their business, scale their impact, and help tens of thousands more people transform their lives and futures.
Grant Writing and Reporting
- Manage and conduct the full range of activities needed to develop persuasive proposals for grant requests, including the writing of narratives, preparation of budgets, and development of final materials for submittal, ensuring all deadlines are met
- Oversee and prepare grant narrative and financial reports for all grants received
- Collaborate with REDF staff to collect data and content as relevant to reporting
- Assisting with preparing materials and reporting to the REDF Board of Directors and Board Subcommittees
- Lead/contribute to cross-team meetings that help solidify program design or determine potential alignment with funder giving trends (homelessness, health, etc.)
- Research prospective institutional donors (foundation, government and corporate) and prepare information/materials for prospective funder meetings and follow-up as requested
- Ensure the timely acknowledgement and processing of grant checks and grant agreements
- Support organizational portfolio of 150+ institutional donors, including administrative and tactical support to reach income goals
- Maintain calendar of grant deadlines, run monthly task reports for solicitors, provide support and follow up
- Continually update donor records and maintain institutional files in Salesforce
- Effectively cultivate relationships with funders, e.g. Program Officer
- Draft and edit letters, blogs, newsletters, and other stewardship communications projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of development experience is required
- Direct grant writing and grant management experience is required
- Strong project management skills and experience required
- Strong prospect research skills required
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) required
- Experience with donor databases/CRM systems (e.g. Salesforce) is required
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Enjoys working independently with some degree of flexibility and ambiguity, able to initiate cross team collaborations and take ownership of projects
- A commitment and understanding of social enterprise and people served
Physical Demands: Position is considered sedentary and no unusual physical requirements are necessary to perform most daily tasks. Certain computer applications, programs, and documents may require an ability to differentiate colors, shapes, and symbols.
- Ability to help craft REDF’s next 20 years of impact.
- Work with passionate, dedicated people.
- Apply your passion for social change in your career.
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package.
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees, and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, REDF will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
JOB LINK: https://redf.secure.force.com/hr/fRecruit__ApplyJob?vacancyNo=VN418