The HIV/AIDS epidemic is not over, especially in Black communities. Would you like to be a part of the solution? The Black AIDS Institute is looking for a self-motivated Communications Coordinator who is able to flourish in an unapologetically Black environment while helping to confront HIV/AIDS. The Communications Coordinator is an essential part of the Black AIDS Institute’s development team.
The Communications Coordinator will contribute to the overall branding efforts of BAI. As the Communications Coordinator, you will assist with the execution of marketing and communications strategies as well as tracking campaign results. Duties will include assisting with communications needs in helping to plan, implement, and report upon external communications including website content, social media content and community management, and email communications. This position will also serve as the primary contact for an external public relations firm. The Communications Coordinator will partner with staff and external collaborators for event support; proactively pitch stories to media/bloggers and find creative ways to bring young and older Black, community-focused individuals into a larger conversation about HIV and Black health.
The ideal candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression work that fights for the core values of social justice and equal representation, as well as thrive in an unapologetically Black work environment. While this is a full-time position, some weekend and evening hours will be required. Some travel is required.
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA - Preferred. (No re-location costs will be borne by the agency)
Reporting Relationship: Director of Development
Agency-wide Duties and Responsibilities:
● Supports the mission, vision, and values of the Black AIDS Institute
● Complies willingly with all organizational policies and procedures
● Supports all functions that attain and maintain accreditation and compliance with regulatory agencies
● Supports and facilitates positive interaction with others by exhibiting:
o Individual maturity
o Respect for others
o A team-centered approach
o Cultural humility
o Maintenance of confidential information
● Communicates appropriate information to other departments in a timely and effective manner
● Participates in appropriate professional development programs to attain and maintain competency
Position Specific Duties/Responsibilities:
· Works closely with the Director of Development to solicit, order and produce content for social media channels. Content production includes research, copy editing, graphics creation, and performance reporting/analysis
· Maintain regular and consistent social media content publishing schedule and ensure regular engagement and interaction with followers and prospects across all channels. Will engage with the Deputy Director to do so
· Manage email marketing and communications
· Update event registration and email marketing as new information or changes are received
· Manage marketing lists and segments
· Primary point of contact for external public relations firm
· Keep and follow detailed email distribution calendar for all programs
· Responsible for updating website and any microsites with links, images and information, etc.
· Perform monthly competitive brand analysis
· Establish and maintain relationships with members of press/influencers in Black healthcare.
· Perform regular link building outreach to increase the number of inbound links to website
· Onsite event support as needed
· Makes recommendations for ways to improve the effectiveness of digital and traditional marketing programs and templates both in terms of audience appeal and efficiencies of internal processes
· Development of new email marketing templates and designs as needed
· Stays current with BAI’s program offerings and understands BAI programs and other projects
· Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in a communications-related field and at least 2 years of related experience in the fields of communications, preferably for community organizations, nonprofits, and/or serving people of color
• Demonstrated knowledge, experience and familiarity with Black HIV prevention and care programming, particularly HIV services in clinical and nonclinical settings, and HIV and health policy at a local and national level
• Minimum 2 years managing and content design for at least 1 social media platform. Knowledge and familiarity with managing content design, implementation, engagement and analytics reporting for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. At a later date, the agency may consider the need to develop a Snapchat presence. Preferred experience with Hootesuite or another social media management tool for tracking and reporting.
• Minimum 1-year experience managing a content management based website, blog or news feed, and related content planning across the organization’s teams. Familiarity with Wordpress to design pages/posts, publish and edit content and update exist web-pages with appropriate imagery and information.
• Minimum 1 years of experience developing press releases, statements, issue-based articles, speaking points, and other writing for health and health-policy related issues.
• Experience with leveraging email marketing via Constant Contact for email marketing, Sprout Social for social media management tools and Canva for graphic design/editing. Knowledge of similar tools is acceptable
• Technologically savvy and able to self-learn emerging and new tech platforms that support and amplify communications efforts
• Producing results in an environment where building consensus and effectively collaborating with a diverse group of colleagues is critical
General Skill Requirements:
• Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication, public speaking and presentation skills
• Exemplary ability to manage multiple tasks using independent judgment and discretion
• Ability to work independently and accurately in a high-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• Ability to work under pressure while exercising discretionary judgment; make decisions when necessary with minimal direct supervision; work remotely without supervisory accompaniment.
• Ability to work in an open office environment.
• Ability to capture values and organizational culture in writing and other communications efforts.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
● Ability to read, write and converse in English
● Ability to communicate efficiently with staff, stakeholders, and vendors
● Ability to remain calm and composed under stress
● Bending, lifting, grasping, fine hand/eye coordination, pushing/pulling, and/or prolonged sitting/standing
● Ability to respond to telephones and other auditory stimulation
● Ability to organize
● Quantitative/mathematical ability (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, standard measurements)
● Ability to evaluate/interpret information and make independent judgments/decisions
About the Black AIDS Institute
The Black AIDS Institute is the only national HIV/AIDS think tank focused exclusively on Black people. The Institute's mission is to stop the AIDS epidemic in Black communities by engaging and mobilizing Black institutions and individuals in efforts to confront HIV. The Institute interprets public and private sector HIV policies, conducts trainings, offers technical assistance, disseminates information and provides advocacy mobilization from a uniquely and unapologetically Black point of view.
The Black AIDS Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about the Black AIDS Institute visit www.blackaids.org
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to the Human Resources email Email subject line should read “Communications Coordinator.” Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Black folks, LGBTQ+ people, People Living With HIV, and people who hold more than one of these identities are highly encouraged to apply. Initial screening will begin on June 17, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.