KIND seeks a full-time Staff Attorney in Los Angeles, CA to help develop, maintain, and oversee the provision of pro bono legal representation to unaccompanied children through KIND’s network of major law firms and corporate partners. This includes helping children to understand the immigration process and training volunteer attorneys to effectively represent individual child clients before immigration authorities and in California family, probate and/or guardianship proceedings. This attorney will also provide direct representation to unaccompanied immigrant children residing in the Los Angeles area, who are in immigration proceedings, and will represent them in obtaining Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, asylum, T and/or U visas, and/or other relief as may be appropriate.
Responsibilities of the Staff Attorney will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct and/or oversee legal intakes and the provision of know-your-rights information to child clients;
- Match child clients with pro bono attorneys;
- Recruit, train, and provide hands-on mentorship to pro bono attorneys representing unaccompanied children in immigration matters and related family law matters;
- Develop and maintain updated guidance materials, sample filings, and legal training presentations;
- Foster and manage KIND relationships with law firms and corporate counsel in coordination with the other legal services team members;
- Represent children in immigration removal proceedings, including children eligible for asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), T visas or U visas as needed
- Collaborate with KIND management in support of KIND’s mission;
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, and reports; and
- Participate in conferences, meetings, and trainings as needed.
- Admission to practice law in the State of California;
- Three to five years of experience practicing immigration law, which should include representation of clients in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas;
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- Family law experience a plus;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- An understanding of the private law firm and corporate pro bono culture and the ability to be a well-respected and effective representative of the program to all stakeholders;
- Mentoring and training experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent professional judgment;
- Ability to hit the ground running, multi-task, and work independently; and
- Ability to work collaboratively.
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample, and three (3) references.
Applications that do not contain all the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, and not later than the posted deadline. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.