Boys & Girls Clubs of America is the nation's premier youth development organization. Our programs, training and services impact nearly 4.7 million children and teens every year. We are always looking for qualified professionals with a passion for improving young lives, as a member of our national staff. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits to allow our employees to maintain work/life balance.
Under the oversight and limited supervision of the Board of Directors of the California Alliance, and in cooperation with Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the Director California Alliance Project is responsible for the hands-on, daily management of the state legislative, state funding efforts, grant and business requirements in support of the Alliance. Responsible for developing and maintaining positive relationships with key state government officials and lobbyists. Works closely with the Alliance Board and local clubs to develop statewide projects and programs.
· Provide hands-on, daily management of the state legislative and state funding efforts in support of the California Alliance of Boys & Girls Clubs.
· Provide direction to, and collaborate with, contracted lobbyists.
· Provide active guidance and technical assistance to Alliance Board of Directors, and local Boys & Girls Clubs in regard to state legislative and government funding efforts.
· Assist, in program development, policy determination and management decisions of the overall California Alliance government relations operations.
· Assist in the development and implementation of cultivation and stewardship programs for volunteers, state officials, and key staff, working collaboratively with national headquarters to set the pace for the entire organization.
· In concert with lobbyists, develop and implement a “grassroots” education and awareness campaign for key state officials.
· Submit proposals to state and federal agencies in order to secure funds for Clubs.
Board of Directors
· Provide guidance and support in annual strategic planning, developing policies and protocols for transparency and employing administrative best practices.
· Provide support and appropriate input to the Board of Directors through board meetings and regular communication.
· Coordinate meetings, support committees and maintain records of the Board.
· Assist in board member recruitment and development.
· Develop, disseminate, collect, maintain and report all financial and program management requirements for funds received.
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting on all grant funds.
· Ensure regular grant invoicing and payments to Clubs.
Business & General Operations
· Develop and maintain day-to-day business processes to include financial accounting and reporting, budgeting, dues collection and reporting, bylaw requirements, insurance, contract oversight, etc.
· Provide oversight of related contractors.
· Engage in relevant professional development and networking opportunities, as directed by the Board of Directors.
· Support the annual California Youth of the Year celebration and Legislative Day.
· Provide vision and direction in statewide member recruitment, communication and engagement.
· Cultivate relationships with business, political, community, local boards, foundations and media leaders.
· Facilitate relevant statewide networking opportunities for staff leadership.
Resource Development, Marketing & Communications
· Provide leadership and, in cooperation with Alliance lobbyists, Board of Directors and members, execute an annual California Alliance Day of Advocacy; activities will include coordinating meetings and preparing advocates to speak to legislative priorities.
· Provide support for government relations activities around the annual California Youth of the Year including working with the Alliance lobbyists, Board and members on lawmaker and executive branch recognition, keynote speakers and lawmaker presence and engagement in activities.
· Serve as key spokesperson for the Alliance, including providing public testimony and media interviews.
· Develop and manage content of Alliance website. Develop newsletter or other communication tool to keep Alliance members informed.
· Maintain excellent, proactive public relations.
· Develop relationships with executive staff of member Boys & Girls Club organizations.
Seek out opportunities to leverage new private sector investments that benefit California Clubs.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree, or education/experience equivalency.
• Five to seven years or more in relevant work systems with demonstrated increases in responsibility; generating and managing significant state government and/or private funds, advocating on youth and family issues, analyzing legislation, and building relationships. Event planning and oversight experience.
• The primary responsibility of the Director California Alliance Project will be to build and maintain a large network of relationships for the benefit of all members. Must possess a strong understanding of organizations like the Boys & Girls Club, especially the importance of the relationship between a board and its staff. Candidate must have demonstrated ability to work with a state legislature and state departments to generate funding, both government and private, for Clubs or a related youth development program.
· Other skills the incumbent must be able to demonstrate competence in are: discernment, ability to work with multiple personality styles, time management and prioritization, negotiating, issue analysis, board and committee support, financial and grant management, handling of multiple tasks, supervision and management of staff; developing and implementing annual budgets and budget oversight; experience in strategic planning; possess event planning and oversight skills; strong interpersonal and negotiation skills; computer literacy using word processing, databases, spreadsheets and presentation software; excellent written and verbal communication skills including public speaking; detail and task oriented; a team player with collaboration skills.
· Normal internal working environment.
A permanent physical office is not considered vital to this position, so telecommuting may be available for the successful candidate. While not a requirement, preference for those residing within easy driving distance of Sacramento is important. The California State Alliance of Boys & Girls Clubs is a collaboration of independent member organizations located throughout California. Each of these Club organizations has their own Board of Directors, operating budget, and staffing, to provide programs and activities in their respective communities. While Clubs in California are as diverse in size and scope as the state itself, the Alliance provides a unified voice for all, as well as brand consistency and a fellowship-partnership amongst members. Together, we serve 610,000 youth through Club membership and community outreach at 500 Clubs located in traditional Clubhouses, schools and military bases. The Alliance was formed in 2015. The individual selected for this position must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to navigate areas of the country by using a map or other direction methods.