This is not a conventional position, because this is not a conventional organization. The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Executive Director (ED) and work closely with the Associate Director. The successful candidate will look forward to working from our Kenya office for a several weeks each year. The candidate will be a hands-on and collaborative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT, in the US, Sweden, and Kenya Offices. 3.5 employees in the US office and 2 in the Kenya office report directly to this position. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to strengthen and build the evolving internal capacity of a highly innovative, dynamic and high-impact organization.
Financial Management (70%)
• Strengthen and build-up existing financial/accounting team across the country offices
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate
monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor
segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance
committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
• Oversee and lead annual budgeting (3-4 million-dollar annual budget) and planning process in
conjunction with the ED and Associate Director (AD); administer and review all financial plans
and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the
organization's financial status.
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
• Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system;
ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and
cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
• Provide project budgeting and administrative support for the project teams to ensure timely
client invoicing and monthly updates to projected client invoices and expenses.
• Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the
finance department's overall policy and procedures manual.
• Collaborate with Board Treasurer to monitor the performance of invested assets in accordance
with FIS investment policies and guidelines.
• Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Board of Directors.
Human Resources, Technology, and General Administration (30%)
• Oversee HR/Admin Support staff
• Further develop, build and harmonize KDI's human resources and administration, enhancing
professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training and
recruiting, across the country offices.
• Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
• Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and
• Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent
operations as the organization scales.
• Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff
tools, policies and procedures.
• Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an CPA/MBA
• At least 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and
operations management experience
• Experience holding final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data,
reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has
preferably overseen a human resources function previously.
• Ability to translate financial concepts to — and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic
and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
• A track record in grants management
• Technology practical understanding with experience selecting and overseeing software
installations; knowledge of accounting, reporting and financial planning software, and
experience with managing Excel expertise.
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate,
and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
• A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving
skills which support and enable sound decision making
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of internal and
• A proactive approach to problem solving
• Willingness to travel and to communicate across multiple time zones
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of KDI
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Chelina Odbert, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org