The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking a Digital Copywriter for our Marketing & Communications department. As part of the Marketing & Communications Division, the Digital Copywriter works closely with the Director, Communications to create web content for Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County, write, or collaborate to write, engaging and mostly short-form copy for sites’ multi-departmental web pages, and contribute copy as needed to marketing email and digital campaigns, video scripts, and social media. The Digital Copywriter will create web content for Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County (NHM in Exposition Park, the La Brea Tar Pits in Hancock Park/Mid-Wilshire, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
• Writing for new websites’ landing and secondary pages, and their event, exhibit, membership, advancement, and visitor information needs.
• Varying voice and style depending on content (creating some high level acquisition copy for our Advancement Department, and clear calls-to-action on our general visitor information pages, for example) but enlisting a vibrant and engaging tone that maintains the integrity of the museums and their institutional values (adventurous, inclusive, authentic, and intentional).
• Complete calendar deliverables with minimum guidance
• Optimizing SEO/SEM across all web pages with SEO-friendly copy and site metadata
• Editing and tagging relevant content to align with sites’ aggregation functionality
• Revise copy based on internal and client feedback/direction
• Researching, fact-checking, and proofreading writing to ensure a high-quality output
• Presentation skills: Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from various departments inside museums and external vendors.
• Computer experience: Has experience using a personal computer and with MS Office and its Word, Excel and Outlook functions (PC and/or Mac). Baseline knowledge of Adobe products, including Photoshop.
• Training: Shares knowledge with colleagues who may not be familiar with current copywriting and SEO best practices. This can include demonstrations and larger training sessions.
This position has the following requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, marketing, journalism or advertising
• Minimum 4-5 years professional copywriting experience with solid portfolio of work
• Experience working with content management systems (we’ll use a Drupal 8 CMS for this website build)
• Excellent grammar and proofreading skills with scrupulous attention to accuracy
• Knowledge of SEO best practices to improve our search rankings
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full time temporary position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhm.org/jobs and click the link of the position for which you are interested.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please, No Phone Calls, No Fax.