The USC MESH Academy at the Keck School of Medicine is seeking an entrepreneurial, collaboration-focused, and strategically minded business professional to serve as Senior Manager/Associate Director, Business Development and Industry Relations (BDIR) with healthcare information technology/digital health expertise.
The BDIR Senior Manager/Associate Director will work with the Senior Director to develop long-term strategic plans for the Business Development and Industry Relations Team. S/he will be responsible for generating new business and implementing high-level corporate partnerships for the Keck School of Medicine for long term growth. S/he will liaise with key internal stakeholders to ensure a holistic approach to corporate outreach, synthesizing various internal needs and translating these needs to facilitate corporate engagement.
The ideal candidate will have in-depth experience in business development in healthcare information technology and digital healthcare. S/he will have a track record of building mutually beneficial corporate partnerships, from the higher education side and/or the corporate side, and can provide evidence of thinking creatively and translating complex materials to diverse audiences. This position promotes best practices in business development and industry relations across campus, develops new strategies to ensure productive and lasting university-industry relations, and contributes to biotech economic development activities in the Los Angeles region.
- Trusted business advisor to USC investigators, inventors at all ranks, industry counterparts and consult on various levels of industry engagement that may suit their needs.
- Identifies research capabilities across all life science therapeutic areas and creates strategies to position them for multi-faceted university-industry partnerships.
- Build partnerships that support faculty research by identifying and cultivating prospective partners, and developing and managing a strategic portfolio of corporate relationships
- Execute campus visits for corporate representatives that showcase cutting-edge academic and research programs, world-class faculty, and talented students.
- Translate priority academic and research initiatives into value propositions and inspiring marketing collateral.
- Actively support entrepreneurial activities that improve the education of USC faculty, postdocs, and students and connection to startup resources.
- Functions well as a contributor to inter-disciplinary groups dedicated to innovation and entrepreneurial activities in the Los Angeles region.
- Masters of Life Sciences, Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical, bio-technology or academic healthcare sectors with demonstrated success in building corporate partnerships across multiple units and disciplines.
- In-depth experience in facilitating multi-faceted alliances including (but not limited to) sponsored research, technology transfer, education, student recruitment, and economic development.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work equally effectively and collegially with internal constituents (faculty and staff, deans, senior University administration) as well as corporate executives and their designees at all levels of a particular company.
- Outstanding judgment and capability to manage highly complex issues and relationships, and highly strategic and critical thinking with demonstrated success at delivering results.
- Ability to influence and manage challenging situations using scientific, legal and/or industry knowledge, and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Expertise in current market conditions and trends for life science industry sectors (pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, diagnostics, and medical devices) and working knowledge of best practices in biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry deal terms.