The purpose of the Regional College Advising Manager (RCAM) role is to co-develop and execute a powerful vision for college advising in the Los Angeles Region (RLA). This includes continuous improvement of program quality and staff expertise to maximize the impact of RLA college advising, so our college students receive the comprehensive supports they need along their college completion journeys. This person will provide all RLA College Completion Advisors with the knowledge, skills and support needed to achieve organization-wide goals in college transfer and graduation.
This position is the centerpiece of a two-year pilot program that will allow the exploration and assessment of a regional advising model. If successful, this regional approach will address and alleviate several of the challenges we face in our current model. As this position is part of a pilot, it is only guaranteed through June 30, 2021. At that point, College Track will assess the progress, outcomes, and organizational fit of the role to determine whether it will continue as a permanent position.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- College Completion Strategy. In conjunction with the Quality and Learning Team (Q&L) and the Boyle Heights College Completion Director (CCD), implement an advising model that specifically targets freshman persistence and six-year graduation. Contribute learnings to inform the organization's inquiry around a potential move to regional advising.
- College Completion Advisor Management and Support. Recruit, hire, onboard, and manage team of Boyle Heights College Completion Advisors (CCA) to develop and execute strategy for College Completion College work. We will assess the extension of RCAM management of CCA at the end of Year 1.
- Professional Development. In conjunction with Q&L College Advising Manager and RLA CCDs, plan and deliver high-quality, quarterly Professional Development for RLA CCA’s
- Data Management and Reporting. Support the Boyle Heights CCD in ensuring that all CCA Data Challenges and initiatives are successfully completed/implemented.
- External College Partnerships. Collaborate with RLA Partnerships Director (RPD) on internship partnerships, campus cohorts, and other college-specific Boyle Heights partnerships (i.e. Kayne Scholars College Program, i.am STEM, Dream.us, Olga Kraus, partner colleges, etc.) to ensure college students receive the supports they need for long-term success.
- Caseload Management. Advise a small caseload of Boyle Heights college students to ensure they graduate within 6 years. We will assess the extension of RCAM caseload at the end of Year 1.
Skills & Experience Required
- Minimum 3-4 years experience working with and advising first-generation college students with a history of driving significant gains in college persistence and completion
- Demonstrated success in motivating, influencing, and managing students to high expectations
- Experience in hiring, developing, and supporting talent to reach a shared vision of excellence
- Strong understanding of higher education and financial aid
- Manages people, projects, and oneself to achieve excellent results and expand organizational impact
- Builds relationships and communicates in ways that foster trust, value differences, and further College track’s mission. Strong interpersonal skills to effectively build relationships with staff, students, and families.
- Minimum four-year college degree
- Spanish language fluency in both written and oral communications preferred
- Demonstrated ability to meet and maintain federal, state, local, and College Track guidelines
- California driver’s license and clean driving record, and ability to drive 8-passenger van
Compensation & Benefits
College Track offers a competitive salary based on the organization’s compensation philosophy, which is grounded in market data. We also offer comprehensive health & welfare benefits and top of the market paid time off.