The Computer Support Technician under the direction of the Assistant IT Manager will set up, configure, troubleshoot, and support computer systems, peripheral equipment, and mobile devices for end users at Youth Policy Institute (YPI). Computer Support Technicians will need to possess a great attention to detail, effective communication, and troubleshooting skills to manage a helpdesk ticketing system and inventory tracking system.
Reporting directly to the IT Manager, this individual will track and resolve helpdesk tickets, support nearby affiliated school computer labs, deploy new computer equipment, and keep accurate records as necessary. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a helpdesk ticketing system queue that supports all end users at YPI.
- Frequent traveling to various YPI sites within greater Los Angeles County.
- Provide exemplary customer service and work passionately to support YPI end users.
- Utilize logic and troubleshooting skills to resolve all issues within a timely manner.
- Setup, configure and assign new computers, VOIP phones, cell phones, mobile hotspots, and other various IT equipment according to established procedures.
- Setup, configure, update, and maintain computer operating system, software and network software as needed.
- Operate a variety of tools and testing/calibration equipment.
- Basic networking of computers, patching of Ethernet cables, and Intermediate Distribution Frame (IDF) network maintenance.
- Intermediate knowledge of networking standards and protocols.
- Install, troubleshoot, upgrade, and repair computer hardware systems down to the circuit board level.
- Keep meticulous and accurate records of inventory and/or software licenses.
- Ensure compliance with software licensing and data security as directed by department policies.
- Maintain affiliated school computer labs.
- Train end users on basic usage of software, phones, computers, e-mail, etc.
- Assist in maintaining e-mail and phone directory by creating, suspending, archiving, and deleting employee accounts.
- Assist in maintaining Active Directory and third-party application platforms.
- Assist in implementing new network infrastructure as directed by Assistant IT Manager.
- Other duties as assigned/directed.
- Completion of one year of college-level coursework in computer science, electronics, or other closely related fields.
- 1-2 years of experience required
- Advanced and versatile in computer, network, printer, server, VOIP, and software troubleshooting.
- Related certifications preferred (CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.)
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and complete assigned tasks in a timely, professional manner.
- Must be skilled in oral and written communication.
- Must have outstanding commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Access to reliable transportation to travel between work sites. If applicable, will be required to present proof of acceptable driving record (current H6 printout), current driver’s license, and proof of liability insurance.
- Valid California Driver's license, good driving record (DMV check will be conducted); and proof of automobile insurance as driving a vehicle to drive to different locations is required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to change position; to sit, stand, walk, climb or balance; to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; to bend, twist and reach with hands and arms.
- Lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.