Jun 24, 2019
Friends of the Los Angeles River (FoLAR) is looking for a creative and industrious Events Manager to direct the planning and execution of FoLAR’s largest signature events and corporate partnership programs. This role requires an optimistic and detail-oriented approach to project management as well as strong collaboration and relationship management skills. The ideal candidate is a resourceful self-starter with a passion for finding inventive solutions and for executing impact-driven events. This position reports to the Deputy Director with close collaboration with the Director of Corporate Partnerships.
FoLAR was founded in 1986 on the belief that effective advocacy, education, collaboration and imagination can accomplish great things. We know first-hand that urban ecosystem restoration requires creativity, technical knowledge and tenacity – but also that our goals, while vast and visionary, are undeniably attainable. We bring these attitudes and vision to our mission of protecting and restoring the natural and historic heritage of the Los Angeles River.
· Lead the planning and execution of FoLAR’s signature events – the Great LA River CleanUp, the largest urban river cleanup in the country; and Noche del Rio, FoLAR’s fall fundraising gala;
· Manage all logistics, timelines, and relationships relating to signature events, including, but not limited to, vendors, partners, governmental agencies, contracted staff, supply procurement, on-site branding;
· Focus on project and event details to ensure a flawless execution and positive experience for all participants and stakeholders;
· Monitor event budgets and build and leverage strategic partnerships and in-kind donations to meet or come in under anticipated expenses while maintaining the quality of the events;
· Collaborate with internal teams to leverage signature events to integrate departmental initiatives and priorities to maximize attendance, impact, and ROI;
· Develop and maintain appropriate project management tools and communications to keep executives, stakeholders, collaborators, and team members informed, engaged, and invested in events;
· Proactively handle any arising issues and concerns and troubleshoot any emerging problems on event days;
· Conduct pre- and post-event evaluations and report on outcomes, successes, and opportunities for improvement;
· Plan and execute periodic River Makers events – private cleanups for corporations and groups – with an emphasis on customer service and client satisfaction;
· Partner with Development to identify and transition potential financial sponsors, partners, and major donors;
· Support and project manage other events (e.g. summer programming, fundraising events) on an ad hoc basis and as determined by the Deputy Director and Executive Director;
· Consult with the Executive team to maintain a low risk exposure for the organization;
· Approach all events with creativity, entrepreneurship, and sound judgement and propose ideas to improve and streamline event planning and outcomes.
· 5+ years of event management experience, preferably in the non-profit space;
· Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience;
· Exceptional project management, leadership, communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills required;
· Ability to work across various levels of the organization while building trust and fostering collaboration;
· Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple projects under a deadline;
· Motivated to seek out innovative, creative, and modern ways to project manage, communicate, and elevate events on a regular basis;
· Proven ability to oversee, directly manage, and develop full-time, part-time, and/or contracted staff, along with managing third party vendors and partners;
· Must be a flexible, DIY-oriented, creative problem-solver with a positive demeanor, and work well under pressure;
· Must be self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented;
· Must have flexibility with scheduling and available to work weekends and evenings;
· Must have a valid California Driver’s License with a clean driving record;
· Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer;
· Spanish language skills a plus
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Events Manager Application” in the subject line. Format is important; please send the cover letter in the body of the email as text and any documents (resume, etc.) as easily accessible attachments. No calls or walk-ins.
Friends of the Los Angeles River
Los Angeles, CA, USA