Oct 08, 2019
Reports to: Deputy Director with close collaboration with Executive Director and Director of Development.
Considerations: Position works full time in our Los Angeles, CA office. Extended hours, including evenings and weekends, will be required at key points throughout the year.
Overview: Friends of the Los Angeles River is the largest river advocacy organization in Los Angeles. We run the largest volunteer-driven urban river cleanup in the country, educate 2,500 school children every year, and have a history of impactful advocacy in public policy. This amounts to an exciting opportunity for a sales-driven, environmentally passionate Director of Corporate Partnerships. The Director of Corporate Partnerships is an important leadership role that is charged with being the front-line sales leader in the Corporate Partnerships at Friends of the Los Angeles River. The Director of Corporate Partnerships is responsible for $600K in annual sponsorship revenue – with the expectation for continued growth - representing roughly 35% of the organization’s total annual revenue. This opportunity is ideal for an individual that is excited to learn and grow with an organization that embraces creativity and determination. This position reports directly to the Deputy Director and collaborates closely with the Director of Development.
This is a front line, externally-facing fundraising role. 90% of the Director’s time should be spent on direct cultivation. These activities should include:
o Identify, cultivate, solicit, negotiate and secure new corporate partners for our annual River CleanUp (the largest of its kind in the country), our fall gala, and River Makers – a corporate volunteerism program.
o Support ED and Board members in lining up meetings with top sponsor prospects, customizing sales pitches and benefit packages to grow revenue.
o Serve as the lead in creating and managing a robust and ongoing pipeline for new business.
o Collaborate with Events Manager to identify and secure in-kind support and donations.
The remaining 10% of the Director’s time should be focused on the backend planning and administrative matters necessary to accomplish the above. This should include:
o Create pitch decks, proposals and correspondence to meet the caliber of our organization, and the quality of our offering as a leading sponsorship property.
o Effectively track and report on sponsor status and movement.
o Create and share sponsor agreements with relevant parties to ensure complete delivery of sponsor benefits and a worthwhile experience for sponsors.
o Collaborate with the ED and Director of Development to manage sales strategies and tactics across all sponsor-driven events and programs.
o Collaborate with the Events and Programs departments to identify sales opportunities and build customized corporate partnership models for each program.
o Collaborate with the Deputy Director and Director of Development to develop accurate annual budget for Unrestricted revenues.
o Work closely with Development Director to develop holistic development plans both for the organization as a whole and for each primary top level fundraiser (i.e. the ED and key Board Members).
o Work closely with colleagues in the individual giving, foundations and events areas to expand revenue generating opportunities.
Other duties as assigned.
· 5-7 years demonstrated success in pitching and managing brand partners in sales, sponsorships, fundraising, or event marketing.
· Strong leadership and management skills, with a track record of leading and inspiring employees.
· This is the perfect position for an extrovert that loves networking and lives for the pitch!
· Ability to manage multiple deadlines professionally and adeptly prioritize.
· Ability to manage complex relationships with excellent interpersonal skills.
· An entrepreneurial and creatively nimble work style that includes taking initiative, working independently, adeptly negotiating to get to the win and a rigorous work ethic.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Must have high energy, ability to adapt quickly and be flexible in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Ability to work efficiently cross-functionally and across multiple levels of management internally and externally.
· Ability to work mornings, nights and weekends around events and key deadlines.
· Bachelor's degree required.
· Experience and/or strong interest in the environment or community-based nonprofits is a plus.
We offer competitive compensation, health benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation, and lovely offices in the LA River Center and Gardens.
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Corporate Partnerships Application” in the subject line. Format is important; please send the cover letter in the body of the email as text and any documents (resume, etc.) as easily accessible attachments. No calls or walk-ins.
Friends of the Los Angeles River is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Friends of the Los Angeles River
Los Angeles, CA, USA