Sep 26, 2019
The Climate Action Reserve is a pioneer in carbon accounting and the most experienced, trusted and efficient offset registry to serve the carbon markets. With deep roots in California and a reach across North America, the Reserve encourages actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and works to ensure environmental benefit, integrity and transparency in market-based solutions to address global climate change. It operates the largest accredited registry for the California compliance market and has played an integral role in the development and administration of the state’s cap-and-trade program. For the voluntary market, the Reserve establishes high quality standards for carbon offset projects, oversees independent third-party verification bodies and issues and tracks the transaction of carbon credits (Climate Reserve Tonnes) generated from such projects in a transparent, publicly-accessible system. The Reserve program promotes immediate environmental and health benefits to local communities and brings credibility and value to the carbon market. The Climate Action Reserve is a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Los Angeles, California with satellite offices around the U.S.
For more information, please visit www.climateactionreserve.org.
The Office Manager’s role is to ensure the smooth functioning of the office and contribute to a positive work environment. The Office Manager is a key member of the Operations Team and provides excellent internal customer service and support to staff. As the Office Manager grows more comfortable with the responsibilities detailed below, they may take a more active role in Operations team work.
More specifically, the Office Manager responsibilities include the following tasks below. These duties are a starting point and will evolve over time based on interests and experience. The position reports to the VP of Operations.
Manage all aspects of the day-to-day office operations.
• Purchase, maintain and troubleshoot all office equipment (copier, printers, phones, postage machine, etc.); maintain related vendor accounts
• Monitor and maintain office supply inventory
• Communicate with building management about office-related issues; update building security with visitor names
• Oversee the Metro TAP Program. Responsible for renewing the annual agreement, adding new staff or removing staff from the program, sharing updates with staff
• Accounts Receivable including preparing bank deposits and following up with delinquent accounts
• Assist with staff shipping needs and mass mailings
• Initiate office processes to ensure smooth functioning of the office and effective interdepartmental communications
• Ensure office practices, purchases, and vendors are climate friendly, as well as environmentally and socially responsible
• Send and receive faxes
• Assist staff with prompt resolution of IT related issues and questions. Serve as point of contact with IT services contractor on computer and network related issues
• Manage phone system setup and updates
• Manage webinar and other conference calling accounts
• Set up new hires with workstations and process terminations for old network accounts
• Purchase and track software and hardware, in conjunction with Controller and VP of Operations
• Review and design cloud-based filing systems
• Review current IT systems and programs; where appropriate, recommend ways to streamline and improve
• Oversee and continually improve a comprehensive and efficient contacts database; work with other departments to ensure contact management and communications needs are met
Administration and Communication
• Answer the main phone line and direct calls appropriately
• Deliver office orientations to new staff
• Participate actively in the planning and execution of meetings and events such as bi-annual staff retreats
• Assist with preparations for the Reserve’s annual conference such as purchasing and other tasks as needed
• Assist President in scheduling Board of Directors meetings and provide assistance with meeting including general communications and host for on-line meetings
• Collaborate with the VP of Operations on internal Reserve programs such as the Reserve’s employee recognition committee
• In coordination with the VP of Operations and Administrative Associate, oversee the Reserve’s open enrollment process for Reserve’s benefits
• In coordination with the Reserve’s Programs Team, participate in information gathering and process for calculating the Reserve’s greenhouse gas emissions
• Support the goals of the Operations Team and provide general administrative assistance as necessary
• Exceptional organizational and multi-tasking skills. Use sound methods to plan and track work, appointments, and commitments. Prioritize tasks by importance and deadline, able to take prompt action to accomplish objectives. Discern what is crucial from what is just urgent; adjust priorities as situations change.
• Demonstrated ability to meet and exceed deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Build constructive internal and external working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect. Maintains an open, approachable manner, and treats others fairly and respectfully.
• Adjusts effectively to work within new structures, processes, or requirements. Demonstrates dependability with respect to the Reserve’s, policies and procedures.
• Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks. Performs tasks with care; checks work to ensure accuracy and completeness. Makes few if any errors. Remains aware and takes care of details that are easy to overlook or dismiss as insignificant.
• Knows and support teammates’ work and deliverables. Encourages team unity through sharing information or expertise, working together to solve problems, and putting team success over individual. Demonstrates new and thoughtful ideas and provides good organizational feedback.
• Commitment to providing excellent customer service by showing an interest in and responding timely to customer and staff needs.
• Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
• Working with a remote workforce a plus.
❖ College or university degree and at least two years of executive administrative and/or office management experience or four or more years of executive administrative and/or office management experience
❖ Demonstrated proficiency with computers, phone systems and office equipment
❖ Highly proficient in Microsoft Office 365 including SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.; Adobe Acrobat; webinar software; Sales Force or other databases
❖ Light accounting/bookkeeping experience, including experience with QuickBooks, a plus
❖ Knowledge of, and/or interest in, environmental issues relating to climate change and a commitment to the Reserve’s mission
❖ Ability to travel at least once per year in conjunction with the Reserve’s annual conference
❖ U.S. citizen or legal right to work in the U.S.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience and skills. The Climate Action Reserve offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates must submit the following information to the Search Committee:
• Cover letter
• Writing sample (maximum of 5 pages)
Applications will be accepted until COB October 15, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications should be emailed to the following address with the header “Office Manager”
The Climate Action Reserve is an equal opportunity employer. The Reserve does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnic origin, or any other classification protected by law, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
The Reserve is committed to an inclusive work environment that embraces and appreciates diversity. It supports fair treatment and equal opportunity for all Reserve staff, and respects and values the talents and contributions of all individuals.
Climate Action Reserve
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Administration / Clerical