Sep 23, 2019
The Alliance for a Better Community (ABC) is a public policy and advocacy organization operating within an ever-changing dynamic that promotes the economic prosperity of the Latino community and the Los Angeles region, inclusive of an improved quality of life for Latinos in education, health, and civic participation. For nearly 20 years, ABC has sought to create a vibrant Los Angeles where Latinos fully participate in, contribute to, and benefit from a prosperous community where families enjoy full access to high-quality schools, quality healthcare, and meaningful civic participation.
For more information, please visit www. afabc.org
ABC is currently seeking a dynamic, results-oriented professional dedicated to educational equity, uplifting parent engagement and improving economic outcomes for communities of color in the Los Angeles region. The individual must be interested in supporting the mission, vision, and ongoing development of the organization. In collaboration with the Associate Director of Civic Engagement and the Executive Director, the Program Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination and execution of ABC’s various ongoing programs including but not limited to the coordination of the Parent Advocacy Training (PAT) Program and the Executive Latino Leadership Association (ELLA).
The individual must have strong interpersonal skills in fostering relationships with parents, community residents, board members as well as internal and external stakeholders in the policy and advocacy sector. Experience working with communities in the Los Angeles region is highly preferred. Additionally, the individual must be highly organized, have demonstrated project management skills, be a team player, and a strong willingness to participate in collaborative discussions with the ABC team. ABC is a fast-paced organization and the nature of the work is ever-changing. The individual must be flexible and comfortable with change.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for leading, coordinating and executing ABC’s Parent Advocacy Training (PAT) Programs. Expected outcomes to execute a successful PAT program involve a delivery of a robust parent curriculum designed for families in LAUSD, engaged participants in a manner that cultivates confidence and leadership, and the coordination of a graduation ceremony that celebrates the efforts and commitments of participants and their families.
To learn more about ABC’s PAT Program, please visit www.afabc.org/parent-advocate-training-program/
● Assist the ABC team with scheduling and facilitating parent training sessions including logistical event planning, coordination and manage day-to-day activities of assigned programs
● Lead the outreach, engagement, and operations efforts of ABC’s PAT Programs.
● Identify parent leaders and coordinate their interest in coalition and advocacy campaigns as part of ABC’s advocacy efforts, including curriculum development and ongoing informational sessions to build parents’ leadership skills.
● Coordinate closely with staff to identify content development, coordinate social media outreach and timeline planning, and maintain website updates to ensure consistent messaging for ABC’s PAT Programs.
● Support the development and gathering of information from participants including attendance rosters, pre and post surveys, and program feedback forms.
● Represent ABC at community meetings/networks/collaborative efforts that impact the areas of policy and advocacy for Latinos in Los Angeles, specifically within the Los Angeles Unified School Board District (LAUSD)
● Provide general support to ABC staff and organizational programs.
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination and development of ABC’s Executive Latino Leadership Association (ELLA) network. ELLA is comprised of executive level leaders with years of public and private sector experience in government, philanthropy, education, business and nonprofits. The primary goals are to advocate for an improved quality for Latinos, promote equity in the appointment of Latinos to leadership and management positions, and to establish a pipeline of opportunity and success for Latino professionals.
● Responsible for the ongoing program development and execution of ELLA’s goals and vision in uplifting and civically engaging Latino leaders and professionals on critical policy issues impacting the Latino community.
● Establish and maintain effective working relationships with ELLA network members, stakeholders, and other related partners.
● Support ELLA’s visibility and fundraising strategies.
● Coordinate meetings, logistics and operations for related meetings, networking events or roundtables.
● Manage external communications with the ELLA network and related partners through constant contact, social media, and updating ABC’s website.
● Represent ABC at networking meetings/collaborative efforts related to the development of the ELLA network.
● College degree preferred in a related field
● Minimum 2-3 years of experience in program management, community engagement, coordinating events and ensuring high-quality deliverable
● Knowledge of Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) and issues in Los Angeles is a plus
● A highly motivated individual with a demonstrated interest in social justice
● Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, and meticulous organizational skills
● Experience with program development
● Ability to work independently as well as part of a team with minimal supervision while maintaining a positive, can-do attitude
● Exceptional computer skills: MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
● Experience with external communications; familiarity with WordPress and good website maintenance principles; skilled in Constant Contact or other email marketing software; familiarity with social media platforms and social media marketing best practices
● Cultural awareness and ability to communicate with tact and consideration
● Ability to work effectively in a highly participatory and collaborative environment
● Ability to think strategically and find creative solutions to problems
● Ability to stay organized and prioritize effectively
● Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as needed
● Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
• Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on conflict resolution. Ability and willingness to problem solve. Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others; Remains open to suggestions and ideas; comfortable with change.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly in positive or negative situations; Listens and comfortable with asking for clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Willingness to participate in collaborative discussions.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
This position is part-time with possibility for full-time. ABC offices are located in downtown Los Angeles.
ABC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran status, and that all are given every opportunity to succeed.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Diane Ojeda at firstname.lastname@example.org . Additional documents that speak to your work are welcomed. Please attach all documents.
Subject line: Program Coordinator_ First Name, Last Name
Alliance for a Better Community (ABC)
Los Angeles, CA, USA