Jul 11, 2019
The Writing Center Manager oversees the daily operations of the Writing Center, trains and supervises other writing consultants, and provides writing consultation as needed. The Manager is responsible for providing Writing Center services to students in Pasadena, at regional campuses, and online.
● Maintain the online appointment calendar for the Writing Center.
● Maintain the database of Writing Center contacts and records of all consultations.
● Develop quarterly reports to monitor use and growth of the Writing Center.
● Provide regular opportunities for ongoing student input about efficiency and helpfulness of Writing Center services and resources.
● Manage invoices and the collection of Writing Center fees.
● Maintain the Writing Center website on the Quad in consultation with SES and/or other departments as needed (e.g. GRAMAR, Marketing, Office of Teaching and Learning).
● Promote the Writing Center through advertising on-campus and online.
Staff development and supervision (20%)
● Provide ongoing feedback and training for writing consultants.
● Ensure that Writing Center provides quality services by conducting ongoing evaluation of all writing consultants.
● Create and maintain Writing Center consultant handbook reflecting current scholarship and research in writing center pedagogy and management.
● Collaborate with the Director of Student Success in hiring writing consultants, and coordinate with regional campus staff, Centro Latino, and Korean Center when necessary.
Direct services (50%)
● Provide writing consultation during walk-in, scheduled, and online appointments and asynchronous tutoring.
● Create, coordinate, and evaluate one live/in-person introductory workshop each quarter.
● Maintain and facilitate asynchronous workshop materials in Canvas, including writing bootcamp series, collaborating with OTL as needed.
● Create and distribute relevant self-guided writing resources for students on the Quad.
● Provide introductory workshops and materials during new student orientations in conjunction with Student Engagement and Success.
● Make all or equivalent services available to Pasadena, regional campus, and online students.
Interdepartmental collaboration (10%)
● Coordinate and dialogue with Academic Programs and academic deans to ensure that the Writing Center provides relevant, helpful services that will assist students in meeting and exceeding Fuller’s academic standards.
● Communicate regularly with faculty to promote Writing Center services and resources. Ensure that the Writing Center responds to professor preferences for student work.
● Collaborate with Centro Latino and Spanish-language writing consultants to provide equivalent Writing Center services for Centro Latino students, including overseeing the translation of advertisements, written resources, and workshops.
● Coordinate with OTL to maximize channels of communication between the Writing Center and online students and faculty.
● Coordinate with Classroom Services to record and broadcast workshops using appropriate technology. Maintain training on relevant technology.
● Maintain regular contact with other Fuller staff who interact directly with students to promote the Writing Center and to respond to felt needs (including but not limited to various advisors, community coordinators, student government members, teaching assistants, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
● Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, rhetoric/composition, or related field; Master’s degree strongly preferred
● 3 years of experience in editing and/or writing consulting
● Academic experience in theology, intercultural studies, and/or psychology preferred
● Excellent working knowledge of various citation and style guides (e.g. Chicago/Turabian, SBL, APA, etc.)
● Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a diverse community
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously Supervisory experience preferred
● BMust be willing to abide by Fuller Community Standards
The Fuller Foundation
Pasadena, CA, USA