Jul 18, 2019
TreePeople believes it can make the world a better place. Our mission is to inspire, engage, and support people to take personal responsibility for the urban environment, making it safe, healthy, fun and sustainable, and to share the process as a model for the world.
TreePeople is among the largest and high-impact independent environmental organizations in California. Sustained by a talented team of thought-leaders, educators, foresters, community organizers, researchers and policy makers as well as thousands of trained community leaders, TreePeople has played, and will continue to play, a legacy role in mobilizing people, businesses and public agencies to connect people and nature to create greener and more resilient communities capable of withstanding the mounting challenges of climate change and water insecurity.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Marketing & Communications designs, implements and manages strategies and tactics for all digital, website, video and public relations messages and collateral to position TreePeople as the recognized leader in forestry, stormwater harvesting, environmental education, and environmental resilience through its multi-benefit green infrastructure projects and forward-thinking public policy and research.
A major strategic priority for the organization is to develop and implement communications tools and strategies to support increased goals for fund development and to mobilize a critical mass of people through campaigns, magnifying the brand of TreePeople, and maximizing the use of technology.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
● Work with the Chief Executive Officer, the Board Chair and the Chief Development Officer to craft and lead the creation, implementation and evaluation of an ambitious, focused and cohesive annual Marketing & Communications plan across targeted audiences and regions.
● Oversee the marketing and communications team, supervise the daily generation of impactful online content, email strategy, visual storytelling and multichannel campaigns that engages and increases audience segments and leads to measurable action and larger impact.
● Implement communications activities in support of a more ambitious fund development campaign as determined in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Development Officer, and test the effectiveness of such activities.
● Develop creative messaging to inform content strategies and story arcs for campaigns, project communications, and online platforms.
● Supervise and manage the marketing and communications team and the processes and procedures for content management and publication.
● Manage the development and strategic dissemination of all collateral including: newsletters, online marketing, digital advocacy, videos, press releases, brochures, and signage.
● Manage media relations and strategies, including generating and distributing press releases, managing spokespeople and talking points.
● Cultivate celebrities and influencers to engage in campaigns, attend events and support TreePeople online.
● Track and measure key performance indicators in partnership with the marketing and communications team and make strategic recommendations.
● Create and implement a digital advocacy program in partnership with key departments to further engage people in actions they can take in support of forestry, environmental education and climate and water resilience.
● Work collaboratively with all executive leadership members, departments, outside vendors, public agency representatives, business and community partners to expand partnership opportunities.
● Manage external vendors and partners; negotiate contracts to be favorable to the organization
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS
● Minimum of 10 years of experience in marketing and/or communications with a working knowledge on both areas
● Strong work ethic, excellent judgement, forward-thinking and highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
● Management and project management skills needed to reorganize, inspire and lead a strong and effective marketing and communications department.
● Superb writing/editing and verbal communication skills
● Experience in writing or editing content for traditional media, social media and web content
● Experience in launching an online advocacy program, including a strong background in online campaigning, email marketing and digital advocacy experience.
● A strong track record as an implementer who thrives in a fast-paced environment and on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
● Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including the internal team, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
● Entrepreneurial, self-starter, must be able to work independently; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
● Highly organized, strong management skills and effective leadership.
WAGES AND BENEFITS
This is a full time, exempt position, with benefits and an exciting work environment.
Los Angeles, CA, USA