Aug 21, 2019
Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) provides underserved youth with exceptional programs in academics, arts and athletics within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education and strengthen their communities.
Our core values are: Respect, Responsibility, Positive Communication and Support.
HOURS: 25 hours / week
The College Success Retention Advisor will work closely in collaboration with the College and Career Success team to build strategies to promote college retention and college success. The Advisor will perform duties as assigned to support HOLA alumni who are currently persisting in higher education or are in pursuit of a career/technical education. The Retention Advisor’s main focus will be to support college students who are HOLA alumni and scholarship recipients. HOLA is seeking a passionate and caring team player who is excited to strengthen and promote college and career success for the HOLA community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Work collaboratively and closely with the College and Career Success Director and Manager to guide and support HOLA’s College Success and Scholarship programs program to support college retention and graduation rates for HOLA’s college upper-class students;
● Foster strong and meaningful relationships with all scholars, alumni, and students to cultivate a nurturing and supportive environment for HOLA alumni and College Success staff;
● Maintain and develop a sustainable process to maintain long-term communication with HOLA scholars;
● Develop strategies around college success to build and increase the capacity of the C+CS team to support HOLA alumni;
● Facilitate individual Academic Action Plans (AAP’s) for students who are in need of academic or social/emotional supports;
● Communicate with HOLA Alumni through emails, skype check-ins, one-on-one meetings, and college campus visits;
● Support HOLA alumni with the yearly financial aid re-application process;
● Plan and coordinate the College Success team’s semesterly college campus visits schedule;
● Assist College Success staff with HOLA Alumni communications;
● Conduct regular follow-ups with all student scholars to track and monitor their progress and persistence through college and beyond;
● Identify and develop resources and toolkits to support HOLA alumni on topics that will improve college and career success: college life, campus resources, financial aid, financial literacy, professionalism etc.;
● Develop and maintain data, research, and strategies to support HOLA alumni retention strategies;
● Stay up-to-date on college success trends for first-generation, at-risk and community college students;
● Support overall College Success department programming, events, alumni communications, and other tasks as needed.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● May perform other duties as assigned
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
● Ability to be a strong role model for youth during all working hours
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
● Must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher;
● Bilingual preferred;
● Experience working in Education, specifically in college access, career readiness, and college success; knowledge of or experience with LAUSD public schools and the LA education climate is a plus;
● Experience in working with high school- and college-aged youth, modeling positive and compassionate behavior as a mentor and role model;
● One or more years of experience counseling/advising students of color from economically disadvantaged backgrounds;
● Experience supporting marginalized communities, such as undocumented students/families, young men of color, students from low-socioeconomic backgrounds, etc.;
● Must have a clean driving record and a minimum of three years with a California Driver’s License;
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, as well as the Google Apps Suite;
● One or more years of experience supporting students with filling out the FAFSA, Dream Act, or CSS Profile;
● Experience in developing large- and small-scale programming, events, campaigns, and/or projects; experience in capacity-building roles a plus;
● Demonstrated experience communicating effectively and professionally both orally and in writing;
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The building environment does not provide air conditioning and heat in all areas. Outdoor work is expected in some cases.
Permission to Photograph
I give my consent for photographs, video or any other medium to be taken of me at HOLA’s discretion. HOLA has the right to reproduce, distribute, sell, transmit, publish, exhibit or otherwise use any and all photographs, video or other materials in which I may appear, or any portion thereof, on any platforms it uses now or will use in the future.
Understanding of At Will employment status
I understand and agree that my employment with Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) is at-will, and can be terminated with or without cause or notice by either Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) or myself. I also understand that no supervisor or any employee of Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) has the authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement contrary to the at-will relationship described above. The at-will relationship will remain in effect throughout my employment with Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA)
HOLA is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
How To Apply
Please submit your COVER LETTER and RESUME to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes without cover letter will not be reviewed.
Include your first and last name, along with the position title in the subject line of your email.
Heart of Los Angeles Youth (HOLA)
Los Angeles, CA, USA