ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. We help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We move members from analysis to action on crucial issues so that we can build the Black political power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Color Of Change was founded in 2005 in response to the realization that during the crisis caused by Hurricane Katrina, as Black people were left stranded on their roofs to die, no one was afraid to disappoint Black people. When government, media, corporations and other decision makers are not afraid of to disappoint Black people, Black communities are negatively impacted and cannot move forward.
The Deputy Director of Development is a new and critical position that was created to help execute the vision and growth of the Development Department at Color Of Change. The Deputy reports to the Development Director and supervises the Institutional Partnerships Manager. A competitive applicant will possess a deep commitment to and understanding of current social justice issues that intersect racial, media, economic, criminal, gender and climate justice. Applicants should have prior experience working within a structured and effective development department and brings an entrepreneurial approach both to their career path and to development work. This person not only has an aptitude for data, but also can create and oversee effective systems to streamline workflow that is in service to a rapid response fundraising environment. This position is ideal for someone looking to build upon an established career in development.
Update and oversee internal systems to ensure the timely and successful submission of proposals and reports that make up Color Of Change’s institutional/Foundation funding portfolio.
- Supervise the Institutional Partnerships Manager in the creation and submission of grant proposals and reporting requirements.
- Edit and provide feedback to the Institutional Partnerships Manager on all proposal and report drafts.
- Working closely with the Development Director, drive a streamlined system to get input and approval from the Executive Director on necessary reports and proposals.
With the support of the Development Director, develop and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of individual donors and prospects.
- Evaluate gift opportunities and giving vehicles and their alignment for donors. Where appropriate, develop, write, and present proposals to individual donors.
- Solicit gifts from individuals;
- Plan, organize and execute modest-sized fundraising and donor cultivation events such as salons or briefings.
- Perform comprehensive ongoing data analysis and evaluation related to all aspects of the annual giving program.
- Establish and meet annual goals including, dollars raised, renewal percentages, and donor pipeline development.
- Use sophisticated prospect research techniques to identify new donors, increase giving of current donors, and overall, help grow funds.
- Oversee stewardship efforts to ensure that all donors are well-informed, acknowledged in meaningful ways, and appreciated in an appropriate and timely manner throughout the year.
Working closely with the Development Director, serve as a cohesive force to identify, implement and maintain inter- and intra-departmental systems that support a highly efficient, rapid response-focused development department.
- Become proficient in use of organizational databases (ActionKit & Salesforce) and development-focused software and technology to oversee and maintain data analysis and relationship management of prospects, donors, and institutions.
- Recommend and implement information strategies that create a holistic view of foundation prospects.
- Support the Development Director in creating the conditions for success within the department including structure, operations, vision and values.
- Participate in programmatic events to define and enhance fundraising potential.
- Lead special projects as needed.