Responsible for strengthening and growing the donor base and the development program to meet assigned financial goals. Supports the Regional Executive who is the chief fundraiser for the region. Drives a strong revenue-oriented culture based on market-driven targets. Leads a development team in planning, managing and implementing fund development strategies for the Region. Maintains own
portfolio of assigned major donors and prospects and personally makes solicitations. Functions in a highly visible, externally facing role and will represent the Region in cultivating donors with the greatest capacity. Manages leadership volunteers. Reports jointly to the Regional Executive and Divisional Fundraising Vice President.
1. Strategy: Develops and executes annual and multi-year development strategies for the Region. Partners closely with the Regional Executive, DFVP and Board(s) in the Region to develop and execute the fundraising strategy in order to significantly grow annual revenues in the short term, while diversifying the funding base towards long term sustainability. Develops and implements a
written plan for identifying, educating, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors across the Region. Leads focused growth in major gifts area; works directly with top major gift prospects in coordination with the Region’s Major Gift Officer(s). Oversees implementation of organizational campaigns in the Region, such as Holiday Campaign, Disaster Relief, and March is Red Cross Month. Acts as a senior leader in the Region and directs the Regional Development team with
respect to strategic decisions for the organization; ensures that the Region meets all reporting requirements related to fundraising.
2. Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Accountable for achieving or exceeding Region’s minimum fundraising target (<$7M in the current fiscal year), and managing to meet the fundraising expense target. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters. Maintains own portfolio of assigned major donors and prospects, responsible for personally making face-to-face donor solicitations and meeting national/regional fundraising metrics.
3. Prospect Development: Works with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Identifies potential planned giving prospects among assigned donors and partners with Region’s assigned Gift Planning Officer to solicit those prospects. Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward
donors at the $2,500 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross.
4. Relationship Development: At the direction of the Regional Executive, serves as primary staff liaison for representatives of largest corporations and foundations for solicitation, cultivation and stewardship purposes. Collaborates with national ARC headquarters development staff to identify and maximize fundraising opportunities. Serves as the primary staff liaison for the Board’s Philanthropy Committee. Orients new Board members to their fundraising responsibilities and
ensures that they receive the support they need to be successful volunteer fundraisers.
5. Staff and Volunteer Management: Works with the Regional Executive, DFVP and DVP to determine reporting structure for the fundraising staff in the Region (including the Community chapter fundraising staff) based on the Regional structure, and ensures the use of best practices for measuring staff members’ performance. Responsible for staff development of Major Gifts Officers and Associates.
6. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.